FIL3008 Embedded Software 7.5 credits
Information for research students about course offerings
Every year, period 3 together with IL2212.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
• Requirements on embedded software
• Prerequisites for the development of predictable embedded software
• Inter-process communication
• Hard- and soft real-time systems
• Modeling real-time systems
• Schedulability analysis
• Modeling and analyzing systems with shared resources
• Aperiodic and sporadic jobs
• Multiprocessor real-time systems
• Real-time operating systems
• Languages and models for the design of predictable embedded software
Intended learning outcomes
After the course the student shall
• have a good understanding of the special character of embedded software
• understand to what extent the predictability of embedded software depends on the underlying hardware architecture
• be able to distinguish and evaluate different mechanisms for inter-process communication
• be able to model an embedded software application so that it can be analyzed with respect to real-time behavior
• be able to use different techniques to analyze if a software application meets its deadline
• be able to model and analyze the effect of shared resources
• be able to recognize restrictions of idealized models and scheduling algorithms and to take practical factors into account
• understand the mechanisms of a real-time operating system and be aware of their impact on development of embedded software
• be able to evaluate different languages and approaches to embedded software design
• be able to study scientific articles in the topic area and to apply novel ideas to own research problems
Teaching Language English
Literature and preparations
The course requires good knowledge of the design of embedded computer systems, comparable to the course IL2206 Embedded Systems.
Bestäms vid kursstart.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- EXA1 - Examination, 7.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FIL3008