Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course covers material scientific fundamentals, properties of materials, adaptation of material properties, various types of steel, cast iron and other cast materials. Light alloys, powder metallurgy materials, ceramics, polymer materials, composite materials and wood are also covered. Covered production methods are mainly casting, processing of plastics, and jointing. Teaching includes lectures, seminars and a group assignment with a compulsory visit in a production plant.
Intended learning outcomes
The main purpose of the course is that the student will have basic knowledge of common structural materials, their properties and use as well as some general industrial manufacturing processes. The student will be able to:
- Describe properties and use of common structural materials
- Explain connection between properties and use of common structural materials
- Describe some common manufacturing processes
- Explain in what context those processes are used, and their possibilities and limitations
- From a given situation suggest material and manufacturing process for a specific product
Literature and preparations
Knowledge corresponding to requirements to the programme for Ekonomi, Teknik och Design at Södertörns högskola.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- TEN1 - Written examination, 7.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
- Examination, 7,5 cr, grade scale:A,B,C,D,E,FX,F
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web HM105L
Main field of study
The course applies only to students of the ETD Programme at Södertörns högskola.