HS1724 Civil Engineering 7.5 credits
This course has been discontinued.
Last planned examination: Spring 2019
Decision to discontinue this course:No information inserted
Content and learning outcomes
- Sweden's geology, types of minerals and rocks, geo-technical properties of soil and rock, ground water, foundation engineering, geo-technical studies
- Excavation, fill, ground reinforcement, superstructures and height subsidence of vegetation and paved surfaces, coatings
- The longitudinal and transverse profile of a road, design, strength and classification of road structures
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe types of minerals, rocks and soils in Sweden
- Understand the geotechnical properties of various soil materials and their function in relation to foundation work on buildings and structures
- Display basic knowledge of ground water
- Describe the different types of foundation practices for construction works
- Understand the conditions necessary for the most common types of ground and construction work
- Describe the design and building materials of a road structure
- Display knowledge of local disposal of surface water
- Demonstrate knowledge of ground planning, surface finishing, and land levelling
Literature and preparations
General entry requirements and specific entry requirements for the programme
Reading materials will be announced at the start of the course
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN1 - Assignments, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Written examination (TEN1, 4.5 credits), grade scale A-F
Approved assignments (ÖVN1; 3,0 credits). grade scale P/F
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web HS1724