IK2200 Communication System Design 15.0 credits
The objective of the course is to offer students an opportunity to learn about advanced emerging technologies and the associated market and business development by working in teams together with other students from different programs and a few from different universities, an interdisciplinary teaching team and representatives from industry in projects where specialist knowledge from different disciplines is blended.
We will create an advanced, demanding, fast-paced, comprehensive, and inspiring learning environment. The course is for anyone who likes to work in a context where the rule is: Teach others and learn from others, fellow participants in the course as well as those that have done similar work previously in similar or other contexts. This course is not for those who like stability, predictability and pre-scheduled courses where the teachers have all the right answers.
The course implements problem based learning driven by projects. By solving "real-world" problems in project teams, the students will learn advanced technology issues and at the same time become aware of many other aspects than technical which are relevant to problem solving, design, teamwork, project management and to taking technology to the market.
Besides the problem based, project driven approach, the course includes a set of methods facilitating learning, including peer learning, to learn from other team members, vicarious learning, to exploit experiences from earlier offerings of the course and bench learning, to learn from the best existing solutions to similar problems and the problem solvers behind them.
This is a 15 hp (credits) version of the Communication System Design family of courses.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The course implements problem-based learning and is carried out in project form By solving real problems in project groups will the students learn to solve advanced technical problems and at the same time become aware of other aspects than technical, which are relevant for problem-solving, design, teamwork and project management.
Intended learning outcomes
Having passed the course, the student should be able to:
- solve a realistic problem
- lead projects efficiently
- communicate with all stakeholders during the implementation of a project
- communicate the result of the project
- work in teams and interact in groups with different composition
- design, build and run communication applications, services and networks in innovative ways (wired and wireless, data, voice, video)
in order to
- carry out a project successfully in preparation for a degree project.
Literature and preparations
- Grundläggande programmeringskurs
- Data communication and Computer Networks
- Internetworking (IK1550)
- Computer Hardware Basics
- Operating Systems
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 15.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Compulsory attendance in seminars, workshops and certain lectures.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web IK2200
Main field of study
In this course, the EECS code of honor applies, see: http://www.kth.se/en/eecs/utbildning/hederskodex.