IL1331 VHDL Design 7.5 credits
VHDL design, design, analysis, simulation, and synthesis in digital electronics.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
- Basic VHDL
- Synthesis with VHDL
- Software tools: simulators and synthesis tools
- Programmable circuits (PLD, FPGA och ASIC)
- Design methods
Intended learning outcomes
Design and evaluation of digital designs with the hardware description language VHDL using modern software tools.
The student should learn how to:
- model digital systems in VHDL at different levels of abstraction
- partition a digital system into different subsystems
- simulate and verify a design
- transfer a design from a version possible to simulate to a version possible to synthesize
- use modern software tools for digital design in VHDL
- describe principal parts in programmable circuits (PLD, FPGA, ASIC) and describe how small designs are implemented in programmable circuits
Literature and preparations
Basic knowledge corresponding to the courses IE1204/IE1205 Digital Design and IS1200 Computer Hardware Engineering.
VHDL för konstruktion, Sjöholm, S. - Lindh, L. Upplaga: 4 Förlag: Studentlitteratur. År: 2003. ISBN: 91-44-02471-1.
Ashenden, P.: The Designer's Guide to VHDL. Upplaga: 2 ISBN 1-55860-674-2.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 4.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 3.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web IL1331
Main field of study
In this course, the EECS code of honor applies, see: http://www.kth.se/en/eecs/utbildning/hederskodex.