Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The energy situation in the world - conditions, problems and opportunities. Sustainability aspects of the production of power, heat and chemicals. State laws for gases. The laws of thermodynamics, internal energy and entropy. Open and closed thermodynamic system. Cycle processes for the production of technical work. Cycle processes for cooling machines and heat pumps. Equilibrium conditions, free energy. Partial molar quantities and the chemical potential. Chemical equilibria in ideal and non-ideal systems. Thermodynamics of mixtures. Phase equilibria and phase diagrams for one-and two-component systems.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, the students should be able to:
- describe and apply the first and second laws of thermodynamics to open systems, closed systems and isolated systems of the following types: ideal gases, binary mixtures and reactive systems.
- describe and perform calculations on thermal cycle processes for the applications: steam turbine and gas turbine processes for work production and for cooling machines and heat pumps.
Literature and preparations
KE1140 Engineering chemistry
The mathematic courses in the programme
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL1 - Quiz, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 1.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Written exam, 5.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Examination, compulsory attendance and laboratory work.
One not compulsory intermediate test that gives credit at the examination.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web KE1160