KF2460 Bio Fibre Chemistry 7.5 credits
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe and analyse the morphology of biofibers, particularly from wood, at micro- and macroscopic level
- Describe chemical structures and properties of polymers of biofibres
- Understand, describe and predict how the wood and pulp hierarchical structure is affected during chemical processes and the environmental effect of the chemical processes
- Perform laboratory work to identify chemical composition of wood fibers, particularly wood fibers
- Present and analyze in writing, a research area in biofiber chemistry area
Literature and preparations
At least 150 credits from grades 1, 2 and 3 of which at least 110 credits from years 1 and 2, and bachelor's work must be completed, within a programme that includes: 50 university credits (hp) in chemistry or chemical engineering, 20 university credits (hp) in mathematics and in computer science or corresponding.
Fundamental knowledge in chemistry and chemical engineering of at least 60 credits
The Ljungberg textbok Biofibre Chemistry
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- PRO1 - Project, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Written exam, 4.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Active participation in all compulsory activities as specified in Course information.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web KF2460
Main field of study
The course has the same content as the courses KF2010 Wood Chemistry and Wood Biotechnology and KF2280 Structure and Function of Biofibres.
Only one of the courses KF2460, KF2010 and KF2280 may be included in the exam.