Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
This course should contribute to relevant knowledge on gender research and gender equality, as well as the basics on how this knowledge can be used in various ways in teaching and learning in higher education, in the classroom, in program syllabus development as well as in learning environments and organisational development work of higher education departments.
Teachers should be able to discuss how a gender perspective can be integrated in one´s teaching, i.e. how a gender perspective could develop the subject content. Further, teachers should be able to strive for a gender-conscious teaching and learning, and integration of knowledge of gender equality in teaching, in development of learning environments and in educational programmes. The aim is that the education, the learning environments and the organisation at KTH should be characterised by gender equality and contribute to knowledge development in the technical areas of KTH, with a focus on gender and equality.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Describe and discuss central concepts theories and methods in gender research as well as analyse the relation of the concepts to one's own subject area
- Plan courses based on an integrated gender perspective on one´s own subject area content, by analysing and developing course literature, learning outcomes and assessment
- Analyse, make visible and problematize the importance of gender, in the structure and instruction methods and practice, in higher education
- Evaluate and develop the practice of teaching by implementing gender-conscious teaching and learning and knowledge on (gender) equality
- Promote cooperation among teachers and students in departments, tracks or educational programmes, with the aim to analyse and develop equality integration, gender-conscious educational working methods and subject related gender development
The aim of the course is to give teachers in engineering architecture and teacher education knowledge to promote and develop equal teaching and to integrate a gender perspective in one´s own knowledge fields.
- Basic gender research with a focus on technology and organisation.
- Introduction to gender-conscious teaching and learning.
- Methods/processes for identification of how gender research can be related to ones own knowledge field.
- Methods/processes for integration of knowledge of gender equality in teaching.
- Strategies for integration of gender perspective and gender equality in teaching, with a focus on intended learning outcomes, learning activities, learning environment and assessment.
Literature and preparations
LH231V or the equivalent course from KTH, other university or university college.
Course is primarily aimed for teaching staff on KTH. Participants from other universities and higher education institutions are welcome, in case of a vacancy.
Rekommenderad referenslitteratur och e-resurser anges i kurs-PM eller på liknande sätt.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL1 - Assignment, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- SEM1 - Seminar, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Examiner determines, in consultation with KTH's coordinator for disabilities (Funka), about possible adapted examination for course participants with documented, permanent disabilities.
Examiner may admit other examination format at re-examination of individual course participants.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web LH225V
Main field of study
Prerequisite is the course LH231V or equivalent from KTH or another university or college.
The course is tailored for teachers at KTH. It is included in course offerings that meetKTH´s requirement of 15 credits in academic teaching teaching for employment or promotion to a teaching position.