Write better texts and perfect your English! In this writing course intended for professional engineers, you will have many opportunities to work with different types of texts from your own field. Learn how to communicate clearly and convincingly by adapting your language and style to the audience and purpose, for instance when writing email in various situations. Your instructors will give you feedback and advice on your English at your level.
Are you looking for a similar professional writing course, but in Swedish? Welcome to apply for LS141V, Professional Writing for Engineers.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The course develops the skills of the engineer in writing work-related texts in English for different purposes (e.g. to inform, instruct or request information) via for example email. Based on the participants' own texts and professional experiences, and through written exercises and discussions, the course focuses on receiver adaptation, the readability and professional style of texts . The course also emphasises the importance of linguistic correctness in professional texts.
Intended learning outcomes
The aim of the course is to develop the skills of the engineer in communicating professionally in English with a focus on efficient texts in work-related situations.
After passing the course, the student shall be able to
- demonstrate an understanding of, and identify, differences in linguistic style between informal and formal work-related communication in English
- write clear, efficient and linguistically correct texts in English for different professional purposes, adapted to context, target group and aim
- reflect on the quality and nature of his/her own texts and those of others, including giving and receiving constructive criticism
Literature and preparations
General entry requirements
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LEXA - Ongoing examination, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web LS140V