Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course is problem oriented and is based upon analysis and dimensioning of standard components in technical products. Topics treated are:
- tools for calculation and dimensioning of components
- fasteners and power screws
- shafting and associated parts
- rolling element bearings
- journal bearings
- clutches and breaks
In parallel with the dimensioning part of the course there is some hand in tasks and laborations which aims at training problem solving with respect to dimensioning and selection of technical solutions. The course intends to portray design and product realisation in a comprehensive view showing consideration for what makes a product desirable.
Intended learning outcomes
The main goal of the course is to provide fundamental knowledge about development and production of desirable products.After the course the student shall be able to:
- analyse and simulate technical systems,
- identify and explain a selection of technical principles that realize a function,
- dimension standard components,
- compare and judge different solutions of engineering problems.
Literature and preparations
SG1130 Mechanics I, SG1140 Mechanics II, SE1020 or SE1010 Solid Mechanics.
Basic Knowledge in CAD that is equivalent in the course MF1061 Introduction to Design and Product Realisation.
Announced when the course start
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL2 - Hand in Excersises, 2.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN2 - Written examination, 4.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web MF1039