Mechatronics Advanced Course aims to provide the student with the professional skills needed to create innovative mechatronics products and work with complex product development.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course focuses on product development, of mechatronic products, in large projects. Innovative and intelligent products are created by developing knowledge and skills in motion control, robotics, embedded systems, real-time programming, distributed systems. The course is based on problem based learning and work in large projects, where the ability to engage in professional development while developing cooperation, communication and project management is practiced.
In the learning environment, team formation, teamwork and industrial collaboration are an integrated part. The student teams work in collaboration with industrial representatives to determine the specific factors that govern product requirements, design and realization. They focus on product-needs, design requirements, performance requirements and testing and validation.
Intended learning outcomes
Mechatronics Advanced Course aims to provide the student with the professional skills needed to create innovative mechatronics products and work with complex product development. This multidisciplinary work is realized by combining mechanical design, with control-, electronics- and software engineering. In this course, the students will be exposed to real-life industrial needs and situations through close cooperation with industrial partners.
The student should after the course be able to:
• apply knowledge and skills from earlier courses, as well as learn to acquire new ones on demand;
• identify, compare and critically assess aspects of an engineering problem, towards making design decisions;
• describe, compare and critically examine various product development processes and their properties;
• apply and evaluate support methods in complex product development;
• use professional tools and processes necessary for the development of mechatronics products;
• learn to get organised, manage, lead and become part of a cross technical and complex development project.
The student should after the course have good technical understanding, knowledge and skill in
• modelling, simulation and visualization of dynamic products and systems;
• methods and tools for co-design and optimization of mechatronic systems;
• working through all aspects of an engineering development process;
• designing and implementing prototypes.
Further, the student should be able to work through all aspects of an engineering development process:
• apply and use professional tools and methods for product development;
• use modern and relevant working methods;
• apply a Model-based development approach to mechatronics product development;
• apply a fundamental test process;
• apply a requirements management method.
Literature and preparations
Approved of the course MF2058 Mechatronics, Advanced Course, or equivalent.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO4 - Project, 12.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- PRO5 - Project, 3.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
The examiner decides, in consultation with KTH's coordinator for disabilities (Funka), about possible adapted examination for students with documented, permanent disabilities. The examiner may permit other examination format for re-examination of individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web MF2059
Main field of study
MF214X, MF224X Masters Thesis
The courses MF2058 and MF2059 assumed read in sequence without interruption.