Course contents *
In this course apply knowledge from the studies on KTH in project work with research focus through a close cooperation with a research team at KTH. The research is directed towards one of three themes of Industrial product development: Machine Design, Mechatronics or Combustion Engine Technology.
By working as a member of a team you will learn to organise, handle, lead and become a participant of a technical and complex research project. This includes that you should be able to define your own project, make your own decisions and take initiative to ensure that the project is completed on time and in accordance with the project plan.
As a part of the research, you need to carry out a literature study to obtain new knowledge that is relevant to the research project.
The result of the work will have to be presented both orally and in different forms of written documentation.
Intended learning outcomes *
After passing the course, the students should be able to:
* Organise, lead and become a part of a technical and complex research project.
* Develop and follow a project plan including handling of possible deviations.
* Evaluate and apply scientific research methods that are relevant to the research project.
* Apply knowledge and skills from earlier courses and learn to acquire new knowledge and skills on request.
* Identify and learn knowledge that is relevant to the research project and summarise them in a literature study.
* Report the results in a coherent and well structured written report and an oral presentation
* Identify the most relevant publication forum (conference, magazine, workshop, etc) for the research project and formulate the project results in an appropriate research publication.
* Independently identify and formulate additional research issues that can be in focus for a temporary and individual future project (for example a full-time degree project).