Course contents *
The course intends to give an overview of important aspects in the thermal turbomachines with a focus on applications in the transport sector and in the energy sector
The course aims both at people who want receive more general information about aero and thermodynamic design problems in thermal turbomachines and to people who see themselves utilising thermal turbomachines for different purposes in their future professions.
The course is a continuation of MJ2429 Turbomachinery, and therefore starts at an advanced level. Starting from simple 1D analysis of turbomachine components the view is extended to 2D and 3D analysis
Important aspects such as gas turbine cooling technology, mechanical integrity, materials and system behaviour are elucidated and brought into context.
Critical review of scientific articles will be carried out performed to trigger discussions in an interdisciplinary environment. Calculation exercises will be performed to deepen the understanding of treated phenomena. A study visit to a gas turbine manufacturer or a relevant company is planned.
The course is given in English
If a low number of students are admitted to the course, it can be given in modified form, i.e. mainly as self-studies with guidance when necessary.
Intended learning outcomes *
The course intends to give an overview of important aspects of thermal turbomachines with a focus on applications in the transport sector and in the energy sector
After passing the course, the student should be able to:
1. Explain the 2D and 3D steady flow phenomena in turbomachine components and relate to their design
2. Solve aerothermodynamic problems for 3D design of turbomachinery blades
3. Explain interaction of fluid and structure in thermal turbomachines and relate to the design of included vital components
4. Describe non-stationary flow phenomena in turbomachines
5. Solve problems regarding aeromechanics for turbomachinery blades
6. Describe heat transfer for warm components, material aspects, combustion chamber principles and operational characteristics for thermal turbomachines