MJ2471 Research Project in Energy and Climate Studies 18.0 credits
Forskningsprojekt i energi- och klimatstudier
Optional for all students that fullfill the requirements e.g. TSUEM1 and TSUEM2 or corresponding level of studies.
Education cycleSecond cycle
Main field of studyEnvironmental Engineering
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of the research project, the student should be able to:
• Formulate clear objectives that can be validated through appropriate scientific methods;
• Plan his/her own work appropriately to achieve the objectives;
• Assimilate related work in the field and link this to the task at hand;
• Employ a wide range of scientific tools and methods, either those that have been acquired previously or through learning new skills;
• Incorporate aspects related to sustainability, end-user or societal implications; and
• Communicate results, in both oral and written form, with due respect to clarity, accuracy, and effectiveness.
Course main content
The research project in Energy and Climate Studies course teaches the student to formulate and work with a research problem. The course can be seen as preparing for the more extensive degree project.
The course comprehends two steps:
- the first is to attend and in writing reflect upon five research seminars arranged at the department or in related areas (in agreement with the course supervisor), and
- the second is to formulate and complete a research project.
The written reflection of the research seminars shall highlight the lessons learned during the seminars in connection to the identified research problem. Hence, show how the knowledge gained from the seminars can be applied in the research project.
The student is expected to demonstrate independent mastery of a particular problem employing a wide variety of skills. A variety of topics are appropriate for a project, however the project must have significant technical components, have a clear link to the energy and climate studies field, and incorporate the sustainability dimension. Provided that a project meets these requirements, and under the condition that competent guidance/supervision is available for the student throughout the project period, the project may be carried out either in an academic environment (university, research institute, or equivalent) or in an industrial setting (power plant, energy consulting agency, or other industry/business).
The final results from the research project are expected to be presented orally as well as in a final written publishable research article or final report.
Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Documented proficiency in english B or equivalent.
Energy and Environment MJ2413 or at least 9 ECTS in areas direct relevant to the project in question.
Bestäms i projektets start, i enlighet med projektuppgiften.
To be defined in line with the project assignment.
- INL1 - Seminar Reflections, 2.0, grading scale: P, F
- PRO1 - Research Project, 16.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Semida Silveira <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2012.
Examination information valid from: Autumn 2012.