Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Strategies for a better environment: Cleaner production strategies (process changes, raw materials changes etc.), process external solutions, product changes and other. Advantages and disadvantages using different strategies.
Air pollution control and gas cleaning technology. Process internal solutions and external solutions in order to minimize air pollutions (both gaseous compounds and particles). Two main applications will be discussed – emissions of VOC connected to handling of organic solvents and emissions of flue gases from energy production. Advantages and disadvantages with different methods.
Municipal and industrial waste water treatment. Process internal solutions and external solutions in order to minimize water pollutions. A number of common applications will be discussed. Advantages and disadvantages with different methods.
Industrial waste treatment. Process internal solutions to minimize waste production. Waste treatment methods especially handling of hazardous waste.
Intended learning outcomes
After passed course the student should be able to:
- Propose and motivate strategies and actions for different environmental problems, based on a system analysis perspective.
- Describe and explain the function of different unit operations that can be used as kidney or recovery function in an industrial production process in order to minimize pollutions to air or water.
- State and describe other process internal solutions to minimize air pollution emissions (through flue gases and evaporation of VOC) and emissions through waste water discharges.
- Describe and explain the function of different process external methods that can be used in order to minimize pollutions to air or water.
- Discuss advantages and disadvantages for different environmental technical solutions.
- Describe different strategies and methods to minimize the waste production from industrial production processes.
- Describe and explain different treatment methods for industrial wastes (especially hazardous wastes).
- Propose and motivate the choice of different environmental technical solutions in order to solve or minimize pollutions to air or water from industrial production processes.
- Propose and motivate suitable methods to handle waste flows from industrial production processes
Lectures, seminars, a literature course, project work and a written exam.
Literature and preparations
At least 100 academic credits in a program of engineering or natural science or course MJ1511 and corresponding knowledge including documented proficiency in Swedish B / Swedish 3 and English A / English 6 or equivalent.
Persson, P.O. 2005. ”Miljöskyddsteknik – teknik och strategier för ett hållbart miljöskydd”. Industriellt ekologi, KTH.
OH-samling samt föreläsningsanteckningar.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- SEM1 - Seminars, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web MJ2629