Course contents *
The course aims at the students to have knowledge of building acoustics, its causes and consequences, as well as the ability to implement basic planning with regard to noise issues in construction projects. During the course, students will learn the basic knowledge of building acoustics, explain the guidelines for different sources of noise and explain why they exist.
Areas involved within the course include:
1. Perception of sound, different measurements and measurement methods
2. Room acoustics, sound propagation, reflexes, reverberation time, etc.
3. Building acoustic foundamental knowledge, sound insulation and how this is affected by walls, floor joists, resonances, windows, etc.
4. Traffic noise, how sounds from different of traffic sources are calculated and modified with e.g. noise screens
5. Community noise fundamental knowledge, WHO's Research Compilations, Guidelines, Health Impact, etc.
6. Ground vibrations and vibrations in buildings