SF1611 Introductory Course in Mathematics I 1.5 credits
Introduktionskurs i matematik I
This course has been cancelled.
A optional introductory course that reviews some knowledge and skills from upper secondary school but also contains material that might fall between two stools in the transition to KTH.
Education cycleFirst cycle
Main field of studyMathematics
Grading scaleP, F
Last planned examination: spring 00.
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course the student should be able to
- use common mathematical notation,
- perform polynomial division and apply the factor theorem,
- manipulate inequalities and make calculations with the absolute value of real numbers,
- explain basic concepts in set theory and number theory,
- decide the correctness of simple proofs by induction or contradiction,
in order to be prepared for higher studies in technology in general and for the basic courses in mathematics at KTH in particular.
Course main content
- Common mathematical notation, for instance, implication and equivalence arrows, quantifiers, Greece letters and the summation and multiplication sign.
- Polynomial division and the factor theorem.
- The triangle inequality.
- Manipulation of inequalities: addition, multiplication, absolute value, monotonous maps.
- Set theory: set constructors, union, intersection, difference, product, number intervals.
- Natural numbers, integers, rational, real and complex numbers.
- Prime factorization.
- Proofs by induction and contradiction.
Advanced mathematics from upper secondary school (courses A-D).
A compendium will be distributed at the beginning of the course.
- ANN1 - Introduction, 1.5, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
Written exam, possibly together with continuous examination.
Mattias Dahl <email@example.com>
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2014.
Examination information valid from: Autumn 2007.