Variational methods and Green's functions and how to use them in theoretical physics.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
Tensor and vector analysis in general spaces. Tangent and dual vectors. The metric tensor. Lagrange's and Hamilton's formulations of classical mechanics. Noether's theorem. Constants of motion.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course a student should be able to:
- Use tensor analysis in order to describe and analyze physical relationships
- Use Lagrange's and Hamilton's formalisms in classical mechanics in order to reach conclusions regarding different physical systems and how they behave
- Within Lagrange's and Hamilton's formalisms, account for how constants of motion appear and apply these to the analysis of physical systems
Literature and preparations
Recommended prerequisites: To master the contents of the mathematics courses that preceed each part of this course in the course plan for the technical physics program. This course should be taken in parallel or after SI1140.
G. Sparr and A. Sparr, Kontinuerliga system, Studentlitteratur, Lund (2000) och tillhörande Övningsbok.
Ytterligare material kommer att kunna nås via kurshemsidan.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- TEN2 - Examination, 3.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Pass final examination.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web SI1142
Main field of study
SI2170 Quantum Physics
SI2380 Advanced Quantum Mechanics
SI2360 Analytical Mechanics and Classical Field Theory
SI2370 Relativity Theory
The course can not be included in the exam together with SI2215.