Funding for degree project abroad

To carry out the degree project abroad does not necessarily mean increased costs. Since your degree project is part of your curriculum and you are enrolled at KTH while you carry them out, you have the opportunity to receive student aid equivalent to that of conventional studies. If the degree projects is done within the EU you can apply for Erasmus+ scholarship to cover additional expenses such as travel to and from the place of study. For studies outside of Europe there are other scholarships.

Financial aid from CSN

During your degree project, you can still maintain student aid from CSN since you are enrolled and taking credits at KTH. This applies only if you already qualify for student aid. A so-called supplementary loan from CSN can be applied for to cover things such as higher living expenses, travel expenses and tuition fees.

Sholarships for degree project within the EU (Erasmus+)

Students who carry out their degree project in the EU can apply for Erasmus scholarship, which is usually granted to all who apply. As a student, you may receive a scholarship for up to 12 months per level of study (Bachelor’s and Master’s level). So you can go several times, staying at least 3 three months at a time. The scholarship is granted for the days you spend in the country to carry out your project. We pay you 100 % of the scholarship when you leave for the project. Deadline for project starting January 1 to February 29 is December 6. This is so we can pay you in time for your project start.

Scholarship amount for Erasmus+ degree project (based on study destination)

Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Lichtenstein, Norway, UK, Austria

Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Germany, Hungary

Students without EU citizenship should note that a visa may be required. Read more about the rights and responsibilites connected to the scholarship in the Erasmus Student Charter (pdf 62 kB) .

Scholarship applications for Erasmus+

  1. Before you apply for a scholarship, you have found a degree project/internship.
  2. Apply for a scholarship. Application link can be obtained by sending an email to . Applications must include: The mentioned forms are available in the application portal.
    • Grant Agreement signed
    • Invitation from the organisation/company who is receiving you. Attach a description of the project.
    • Learning Agreement, signed by you, receiving organisation and someone at your school at KTH. (for master thesis is should be academic supervisor).
  3. Notification of award by email
  4. A payment is issued in connection to the date you specified as the start date.
  5. Your internship will be evaluated by the European Commission through an email with a link sent to you. We would appreciate your answer.

Language tests for Erasmus+ scholarship receivers

The European Commission requires that all students who receive an Erasmus+ scholarship must take the two OLS language tests that are sent out before and after their stay abroad. The language tests evaluates your knowledge in every language area and is done in the language of your exchange studies, internship or degree project. The students who have level B2, C1 or C2 in the first language assessment has the opportunity to attend a language course of study or training in the national language, as long as the language is included in the OLS system. The course that is offered is voluntary, but to get the last part of the scholarship both tests has to be completed and the automatically sent out evaluation.

Scholarships from other organisations

There are lots of other scholarships available, however often considerable efforts are needed to identify one that suits your needs. Below are a number of links to scholarship databases and organisations that advertise scholarships.

Compensation from clients

If you do your degree project for a company they might compensate you for your work. It is possible to receive compensation even if one is granted Erasmus scholarship. Remember, however, that you can be required to repay student aid if your annual income become too high. For more information, CSN .