Skip to main content

Before departure

Here are some things you should prepare for before going on an exchange via KTH, such as visas, registration and housing at the host university.


Once you have received your admission letter from the host university, you will in most cases need to apply for a visa if you are going to study outside Europe. The country's embassy in Sweden offers more information. Start by checking the validity of your passport. Usually, a passport must be valid for six months after the date you plan to return to Sweden. Suppose your passport does not have a sufficiently long validity period. In that case, you must renew it immediately as some overseas universities will ask for your passport number in your application.

It can take time to get a student visa, for many countries over a month. If you plan to travel around the country before starting your studies or take a language course, it is extra important to be out well in advance.

If you are travelling to an EU country, you need to get information on registering your right of residence. The partner university usually informs you about this when you arrive.

Contact details

Update your contact information in Ladok. In this way, KTH has the opportunity to reach you if a crisis situation should arise. The information that is extra good to update is mobile number, e-mail address and home address.

Change contact details i Ladok

Accommodation abroad

Many exchange universities help you find housing by referring you to a number of agencies or landlords you can contact. It is entirely up to the student to find housing in some cases. The host university usually offers information on its website.

Registration at KTH

You need to register for your exchange period in Ladok for students . Select the option "Exchange commitment 30 credits". This registration is then also visible to CSN. If you go on exchange studies for an entire academic year, you may register again before the spring semester. You will be able to register approximately one month before the host university's semester starts. You can contact your school's international coordinator if you have questions about this.

You should only choose a course for the semester when you return to KTH, and you do this via Course selection for the autumn term is 1-15 May and for the spring term 1-15 November.

KTH International Buddy Program

As a student and adept in the KTH International Buddy Program, you are offered a unique opportunity to have a local mentor during your studies abroad. The mentorship aims to give you a safer and more rewarding stay abroad as a student.

Apply for a mentor

Bring with you

  • Admission notice from the host university
  • Register extract from Ladok in English of completed courses and grading scale
  • Certificate of financing (for example from CSN)
  • European Health Insurance Card, EHIC (if you are going to study in the EU)
  • ID card and passport
  • Passport photos for registration, student ID, etc.

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs travel recommendations

The more information about the country and the university you will study at you have before your departure, the better! The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs provides information about the security situation, climate, visa and health risks in the country you are staying in.

Presenting KTH at the host university

KTH students on exchange are expected to hold a presentation about KTH at their host university, for instance at study abroad fairs or similar events. For support, we have created the “Exchange studies at KTH” presentation and a related guide which we encourage all students to use.

Exchange studies at KTH: Presentation (pdf 6.0 MB)

Exchange studies at KTH: Presentation guide (pdf 146 kB)