Skip to main content

Coming back to KTH

Upon your return to KTH, there are some things you may need to do, such as applying for courses and credit transfer, and write your travel report.

For students with Swedish residence permit

You can get a residence permit in Sweden even if you will be staying in another country for part of the permit period, if the stay abroad is part of the study programme that you are admitted to in Sweden. If you are going to another country as a part of the study programme, you should contact the authorities of that country to find out what is required for a stay in that country.

Learn more on the Swedish Migrations Agency's website (click "What applies to exchanges")

Course application

Before you return home, you must choose courses for the coming semester at KTH. Course selection for the autumn term is made in May and for the spring term in November via .

Course application

Credit Transfer

After finishing your exchange studies, you need to apply for a credit transfer, and this does not happen automatically. To have your exchange studies accredited, please submit the following:

  • The Application for credit transfer of completed courses.dotx (dotx 78 kB)  and Appendix to application for credit transfer of completed courses.dotx (dotx 75 kB)  should be completed, signed and submitted to your international coordinator.
  • The transcript of records, a combined grade document detailing all courses passed and the number of credits for each course. Please note that this must be the original document. An extract from the host university’s website is not acceptable. In some cases the host university sends the transcript of records directly to KTH, in some cases you will get the original directly from the host university. Before you leave, make sure how your transcript of records will be sent to KTH.
  • Course descriptions for all courses (including optional courses) you want to transfer to KTH, if these have not been approved in a previous study plan.

The grades will not be converted to KTH grades, but the grades from your exchange studies are credited to your programme. Once the grades have been credited they will be uploaded in Ladok for students , under Certificates. Please note that the processing time for crediting transfers can be up to three months.

Certificate of Attendance

All exchange students within the Erasmus programme must upload a Final Learning Agreement, together with a Studietidsintyg/Certificate of Attendance (docx 62 kB)   signed by the host university. A compulsory evaluation of your study period and linguistic development will be sent to you by the Erasmus programme; all this is in order to receive the second installment of the Erasmus scholarship.

Travel report

After you have returned from your exchange studies, we expect you to write a report. The travel reports help KTH follow up the collaboration with the exchange universities and are an important part of preparing future students before their departure. All travel reports will be published on KTH’s website. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can refrain from stating your name. Please upload the report into Mobility-Online.

Template for travel report (dotx 66 kB)

The template has headings and instructions on what your report should contain. The final report should be about three pages long, and the most important part is the section on studies and courses. We would also encourage you to include images in your report. Do not forget to proof your spelling before submitting the report. Avoid writing negative aspects addressed to a specific person. Please be personal, but not private.

Homecoming event

Once you are have returned from your time abroad, you will be invited to a Homecoming event. During that event, you will meet other students who have also been abroad and share your experiences with them, as well as with future outgoing students. The event normally takes place in the beginning of the autumn semester.