Skip to main content

Study plan for exchange studies

Before your exchange studies, you must make a study plan with the courses you plan to study during the exchange. Your international coordinator will contact you with more information about when and how to submit your study plan.

Before your exchange studies, the first thing you should do is find the courses you want to study at the exchange university to make a study plan. The study plan contains the courses you plan to study during the exchange, which will be transferred within your education upon return.

You find suitable courses yourself via the exchange university's website. You can also ask for tips from KTH students who have previously completed exchange studies at the university and take part in their travel stories. It can be difficult to find course information, so starting on time is important.

Your study plan must correspond to full-time studies at KTH. Therefore, start by determining which credit scale the university uses and how it corresponds to higher education credits. You can find the information on each university's page in the list of exchange universities . Most European universities use ECTS credits, the same as in Sweden.

The study plan contains three different options for categorizing the courses you plan to study; compulsory course, conditionally optional course and optional course. First and foremost, you should find courses that correspond to the compulsory courses you would have read at KTH during the exchange. You do not need to change course for course, but you should strive to cover the mandatory elements. If you do not find completely consistent courses, you should list the courses you consider to be the most equivalent. Courses at partner universities often do not correspond in terms of credits with corresponding courses at KTH, even if they do in terms of content. It is then important not to forget that you can not get more credits transferred than what the courses at the partner university are worth. If you are planning exchange studies during your third year, you should check whether any course in addition to your compulsory courses qualifies for your planned master's programme.

Your international coordinator will contact you with more information about when and how to submit your study plan. Your programme director assesses whether the courses you have chosen will be able to be credited within your program at KTH. It is good to have a couple of reserve courses in case your first alternative is not approved.

If you travel within the EU and apply for an Erasmus scholarship, you must also fill in a Digital Learning Agreement. Find more information on Financing for exchange studies within Europe .