BB103X Degree Project in Biotechnology, First Cycle 15.0 credits
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
During the course the student works on a larger project within biotechnology. The work includes the planning, implementation, report of the whole progression and the final result according to a given curriculum. The project includes in-depth studies in a specific biotechnology field. The course also includes critical review of the own and others' work.
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course the student has achieved the following obvectives:
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge of the chosen topic's scientific foundation and applications, insight into current research and development,
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge within a limited area within biotechnology,
Skills and abilities
- Demonstrate ability to critically and systematically search, collect and integrate knowledge, and identify one´s need for further knowledge,
- Demonstrate ability to plan and with adequate methods carry out relevant tasks within given time frames,
- Demonstrate the skills required to work independently and in group in a relevant area,
- Demonstrate ability to clearly present and discuss conclusions and the underlying arguments with other groups both orally and in writing,
Values and approaches
- Demonstrate ability to develop and evaluate technical solutions, while taking into consideration human conditions and needs, and the society's aim for economically, socially and ecologically sustainable development,
- Demonstrate ability to make assessments, evaluate and review own and others' results.
Literature and preparations
120 credits within the Degree Programme in biotechnology.
To apply for an independent study (kandidatexamensarbete) starting in period 3 it is required that a main part of the studies, at least 105 credits (of which total 90 credits from school year 1 and 2, of which at least 50 credits from school year 1) of the compulsory courses in the engineering programme in biotechnology should be completed latest 6 weeks after period 1 in school year 3.
BB1190 Gene Technology, BB1210 Purification of Biomolecules, BB1200 Analysis of Biomolecules and BB1300 Cultivation Technology.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- XUPP - Examination Assignment, 15.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Approved written project plan, written final report, oral presentation and opposition (PR01; 15 credits).
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web BB103X
Main field of study
Before you start your Degree Project you have to make an application by submitting a filled in form to the Student office at Teknikringen 50
BB1190 Genteknik, BB1210 Rening av biomolekyler, BB1200 Analys av biomolekyler och BB1300 Odlingsteknologi