Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
- Design process for embedded systems. Design requirements.
- The platform for embedded systems and its components.
- Analysis and optimisation of software for embedded systems.
- Periodic process model, basic scheduling algorithms and scheduling analysis.
- Parallel processes and communication mechanisms.
- Realtime operating systems.
- Acceleration of the system through additional hardware. Co-design of hardware and software.
Intended learning outcomes
Having passed the course, the student should be able to
- describe the fundamental structure of the platform for embedded computer systems and explain cooperation between the software and the hardware components
- analyse how architecture and implementation decisions influence the performance in an embedded system
- use basic models and analytical methods for embedded realtime systems
- develop software for simple embedded real time systems
in order to obtain a good understanding of the design process for embedded systems and basic methods and technologies for the design of embedded systems.
Literature and preparations
Completed course in Programming equivalent ID1018 Programming I, or DD1337 programming or DD1316 Programming techniques and C.
Completed course in computer engineering equivalent IS1200 Computer Hardware Engineering, basic course.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web IL2206
Main field of study
In this course, the EECS code of honor applies, see: http://www.kth.se/en/eecs/utbildning/hederskodex.