Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The course covers concepts, models, theories, tools and processes in leadership, organisation and personnel management at three organisational levels: individual, group and organisation. A special focus is put on knowledge and technology-intensive activities.
The course covers three fields/levels:
- Individual level: Leadership models and theories - i.e. theories and models at individual level that defines and explains cooperation, efficient and successful leadership, difference between management and leadership, personal leadership, power, motivation and influence, leadership styles and classical and modern views on leadership.
- Group level: Group/team organisation and development models and theories - i.e. theories and models at group level that define group and team, describe different types of groups, group/team roles, strengths and weaknesses with teams, group/team development process and leadership and organisational challenges in team-based environments
- Organizational level: Organisational models and human resource management (HRM) models, i.e. theories and models that describe the HRM function in an organisation which include different views on organisations and HRM, challenges for the HRM function, HR configurations, flexibility, recruitment and organisation.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the course, the students should be able to:
For grade E show that you can...
- use relevant concepts and models at all three levels individual, group and organisation based on own experiences
For higher grades A-D
Furthermore show that you can:
- explain the most important models and theories for one of the three levels individual, group and organisation
- describe how individual, group and organisational processes interact and apply relevant concepts, models and theories on typical cases in different environments.
- analyse how models interact at individual, group and organizational level, choose and apply theory for practical problem situations and discuss limitations in existing theories and models
- apply and critically review models at individual, group and organizational level and show how they interact, apply models and theories on complex situation,s and suggest fields for future research
- reflect on how individual, group and organisational processes interact based on own experiences
See the course syllabus.
Literature and preparations
ME1003 Industrial Management, Basic Course completed
None in addition to the specific prerequisites.
Course literature will be announced at the start of the course.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- INL1 - Individual reflection based on group assignments, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Written exam, 4.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
The final mark in the course is set through a weighted combination of the grades for examination parts TEN1 and INL1.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
See the course syllabus.
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
Decided by the examiner.
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web ME2163
Main field of study
See the course and program directory.
Replaces ME2063 Team ledarskap och Human Resource Management, 6,o hp.
Overlapping course: ME2311