MJ2490 Environomical Pathways 6.0 credits
Energisystemanalys med exergi-, ekonomi- och miljöperspektiv
Education cycleSecond cycle
Main field of studyMechanical Engineering
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, the students should be able to:
- Apply a system approach in analyzing the chain for energy conversion, from primary energy source to energy services. This includes:
- To suggest a system boundary for some basic energy conversion problems like sun/moon/geothermal to comfort heating or cooling.
- To conduct an overall analysis of energy, environmental and cost efficiency of an energy conversion scheme.
- To use the result to carry out an environomical discussion, at a basic level, regarding the relationship between energy, environmental and cost effectiveness using the exergy concept as a basis.
- By using project based working method, be able to work with energy systems analysis and environomics in a structured way.
Course main content
This course discusses the basic concept of exergy and efficient energy technologies. It relates the environmental consequences in a life cycle cost (and analyses). The lecturers will highlight the often misunderstood concept of energy “sources”, identifying the presently only “sustainable sources” as the sun, the moon and the geothermal sources in the earth. The focus is on future, sustainable supply chains from primary energy source to energy services in society.
The lectures and exercise classes presents the fundamental tools of exergy analysis, life cycle analysis and environomics, and provide opportunities for problem solving using these tools.
The project covers a deepend discussion of Environomics from the perspective of specific cases, and thus gives the students the opportunity to practical implementation of the tools mentioned above.
Lectures, Exercises and Project
MJ1112 Applied Thermodynamics (or equivalent).
Admitted to TMESM.
Thermal Design and Optimization (författare: Bejan, Tsatsaronis, Moran, Wiley 1995, ISBN 0-471-58467-3)
Fransson, T.H., et al., 2009, "Computerized Educational Program", KTH, Energiteknik -- Kraft- och värmeteknologi
- PRO1 - Project, 3.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Exam, 3.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Written exam (TEN1), 3 ECTS, (A-F grading)
Project work (PRO1), 3 ECTS, (A-F grading)
Peter Hagström <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Only for the Masterprogram TMESM
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2010.
Examination information valid from: Autumn 2010.