The aim of the course is to give students both theoretical and practical experience of different vehicle dynamics control applications during three 2,5 weeks laboratory assignments. At the end of the course students will have gained knowledge and experience in three different areas of vehicle dynamics control, longitudinal, lateral and vertical direction.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course is a lab based course, meaning that the students will have theoretical sessions followed by practical lab assignments based on the theoretical sessions.
There will be three laboratory assignemnts in the course
- Longitudinal Dynamics, Slip Control (Brake/Traction).
- Lateral Dynamics, State estimation (Estimating vehicle side slip).
- Vertical Dynamics, Control of active damping (Sky-hook/Ground-hook).
Intended learning outcomes
The aim of the course is to give students both theoretical and practical experience of different vehicle dynamics control applications in longitudinal, lateral and vertical direction. At the end of the course students will have gained theoretical knowledge and practical experience in three different areas of vehicle dynamics control.
The students shall after the course be able to:
- design, implement and analyse traction and braking controls,
- design, implement and analyse state-estimation algorithms,
- design, implement and analyse vibration control for vehicle suspensions,
- design and implement the above as working correct models in Matlab and Simulink,
- write technical reports and present control designs.
Literature and preparations
Completed EL1000 Automatic control, general course.
English B / English 6
Completed Degree Project, First Level.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Longitudinal Dynamics, Slip Control (Brake/Traction), 2.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- LAB2 - Lateral Dynamics, State estimation (Estimate Vehicle Slip), 2.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- LAB3 - Vertical Dynamics, Control of Active Damping, 2.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
Approved on all three compulsory laboratory reports.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web SD2231