Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
- Before the degree project course starts, the student shall identify an appropriate degree project task and formulate a project proposal that can be presented to the examiner for approval. The assignment must be chosen so that it implies a natural progression of the knowledge and skills that have been acquired within the education.
- The student writes an individual plan for the degree project, in which the problem description/assignment and the preconditions for the implementation of the work are specified.
- The student carries out an individual independent project, where knowledge and methods from the education are applied.
- The student plans and carries out an oral presentation and defence of his or her degree project.
- The student carries out an oral and written review of another degree project at the same cycle.
- The student writes and presents a degree project report, where the student clearly accounts for and discusses own conclusions in the degree project and the knowledge and the arguments that underpin them.
Intended learning outcomes
The purpose of the degree project is that the student shall apply and deepen his or her knowledge, understanding, abilities, and approaches within the context of the education. The degree project shall be carried out towards the conclusion of the education and imply a specialised study and synthesis of earlier acquired knowledge.
After completing the degree project, the student shall demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to work independently as a graduate engineer according to the national goals for an engineer in the Higher Education Ordinance. The degree project should focus on the following requirements:
After passing the course, the student shall be able to
- independently and creatively identify, formulate and deal with issues and to analyse and evaluate different technological solutions
- plan and with adequate methods carry out assignments within given frames
- design and handle products, processes and systems
- in speech and writing account for and discuss information, problems and solutions in dialogue with different audiences
in order to independently be able to work as a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.
Literature and preparations
To start a degree project, it is required that courses that are considered relevant for the degree project are passed. To start the work in period 3, at least 135 higher education credits from completed courses from the programme syllabus are also required. To start the degree project in period 4, at least 150 higher education credits from completed courses from the programme syllabus are required.
The student's prerequisites for carrying out and completing the degree project, are assessed and approved by an examiner before course registration.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- XUPP - Degree Project, 15.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
In XUPP, the following items are included:
- individual plan for the degree project
- active attendances at two oral presentations of degree projects for first-cycle studies
- an oral presentation
- written and oral opposition of another student's degree project for first-cycle studies
- a written report with title and summary/abstract both in Swedish and English.
Other requirements for final grade
All examination parts should be approved within a year from the start of the degree project. Otherwise, the degree project will be ended with a failed grade, unless special circumstances apply.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web II142X
Main field of study
In this course, the EECS code of honor applies, see: http://www.kth.se/en/eecs/utbildning/hederskodex.