Salla Maarit Koskela
I am PHD student in Qi Zhou's research group located at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden. The aim of our research group is to develop advanced bio-based materials from natural resources, such as wood.
My research is focused on fungal carbohydrate-active enzymes, especially lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases (LPMOs), and their utilization for environmentally friendly production and modification of cellulose nanofibres (CNFs) towards cellulose-based materials.
I have broad experience in enzyme production, purification and characterization. I have gained a master's degree in biotechnology in 2017 at University of Helsinki, Finland, where my studies concentrated on fungal enzymes and their recombinant production, including bioreactor fermentations. Prior starting at KTH, I was a research trainee at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, where I produced biomaterial proteins in P. pastoris and T. reesei.
In addition to research, I frequently supervise M.Sc. and B.Sc. projects in the field of biotechnology. In 2018, I took part in the Stockholm's iGEM team as an advisor for the team, supervising the students on production of recombinant laccases in P. pastoris.
1. Koskela S., Wang S., Xu D., Yang X., Li K., Berglund L., McKee L., Bulone V., Zhou Q. (2019) Lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases (LPMOs) mediated production of ultra-fine cellulose nanofibres from delignified softwood fibres. Green Chemistry. DOI:10.1039/C9GC02808K
2. Mäkelä M., Dilokpimol A., Koskela S., Kuuskeri J., de Vries R., Hildén K. (2018) Characterization of a feruloyl esterase from Aspergillus terreus facilitates the division of fungal enzymes from Carbohydrate Esterase family 1 of the carbohydrate-active enzymes (CAZy) database. Microbial Biotechnology. DOI: 10.1111/1751-7915.13273
3. Fang W., Nonappa N., Vitikainen M., Mohammadi P., Koskela S., Soikkeli M., Westerholm-Parvinen A., Landowski C., Penttilä M., Linder M., Laaksonen P. (2018). Coacervation of resilin fusion proteins containing terminal functionalities. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.07.048
4. Fang W., Paananen A., Vitikainen M., Koskela S., Westerholm-Parvinen A., Joensuu J., Landowski C., Penttilä M., Linder M., Laaksonen P. (2017) Elastic and pH responsive hybrid interfaces created with engineered resilin and nanocellulose. Biomacromolecules. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.7b00294
- TAPPI Nano international conference on nanotechnology for renewable materials (Speaker) Jun 8-11th 2020, Helsinki, Finland (event cancelled due to covid-19)
- Green China, 1st International Green and Sustainable Chemistry Conference (Speaker) Oct 17-19th 2019, Beijing, China
- Stockholm Cell Wall Meeting III (Speaker), Sep 18th 2019, Stockholm, Sweden
- 257th ACS National Meeting and Expo (Poster) Mar 31st - 4th Apr 2019, Orlando, USA
- 29th Fungal Genetics Conference (Poster) Mar 14-19th 2017, Pasific Grove, USA