Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Course is designed as an individual project work equivalent 5 weeks of full-time job. A current problem or research project in chemistry and chemical engineering are formulated and analyzed in conjunction with interested teachers. The task can be theoretical and / or experimental nature.
In general, the project begins with studies of the project's background and with a smaller literature review. Then the task is planned and, where appropriate formulated a project plan for the experimental work. When the task is completed, the background of the project and its goal are described, the method and the results are analyzed, discussed and documented in a written report of good quality.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, students should be able to:
- apply knowledge and skills in chemistry and chemical engineering sought in earlier studies
- analyze a specific research task or problem
- obtain the necessary information for the formulation of the problem and plan how the task can be solved
- perform experimental and theoretical treatment of the task, if needed
- search for information from the scientific literature
- correctly use and reference source material
- use graphical representation to effectively convey results
- summarize the results in a written report
Literature and preparations
Appropriate courses for the chosen problem, at least 150 credits in chemistry and chemical engineering, 20 university credits (hp) in mathematics and 6 university credits (hp) in computer science or corresponding.
The examiner will determine if prerequisites are sufficient and that the student has sufficient depth studies for the selected task and also make likely that the proposed project work is expected to lead to that the student can develop the skills specified in the learning outcomes.
Director of undergraduate and master's studies, GA will assess and approve the proposed project by the examiner. Examiner presents a brief description of the project on the application form.
Väljs i anslutning till projektuppgiften
Relevant scientific articles and textbooks in the field
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 7.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
The written report should preferably be written in English.
Other requirements for final grade
Relevant literature survey, approved planning report / project plan and approved final report (PRO1; 7,5 hp).
The student should first write a planning report for description of the problem/project assignment and it should also include a plan for the project. The planning report is submitted to the examiner for approval.
The written report should be checked with tools for plagiarism by the examiner.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web KE2905
Main field of study
Before the student can start the project course, an application for performing a specific project work should be submitted. In the application the examiner should provide a brief description of the project work. The student / examiner should submit the completely filled and signed form to the Office BIO / CHE.