Ph.D. student positions in Networked Systems - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Information and Communication Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The doctoral student positions focus on latency-sensitive networks and distributed systems. In particular:
- Conducting research in a larger project titled “Time-Critical Clouds” with researchers both from KTH Royal Institute of Technology and SICS Swedish ICT. In this project, we seek to ensure latency bounds of key building blocks (e.g., geo-distributed key-value stores) that are used for important societal services (for example, Intelligent Transportation Systems). Your work will entail design, implementation, and evaluation of networked systems for time-critical cloud-based services and networks.
- You will be part of the Network Systems Laboratory (NSLab), supervised by Professor Dejan Kostic - https://people.kth.se/~dejanko/ and Professor Gerald Q. Maguire Jr. - https://people.kth.se/~maguire/. In addition to your doctoral studies, you will be expected to teach or perform other department duties up to 20% of full-time.
The applicant should hold a Master’s of Science degree or a similar degree which fulfills the entry requirements for doctoral studies at KTH.
A successful candidate needs to have: (1) a strong background in distributed systems, networking, programming, and operating systems, (2) excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, (3) very good critical reasoning skills, (4) very good knowledge of C++ and Linux/UNIX, (5) strong motivation, with a desire to experiment, explore, and diagnose complex problems, and (6) the ability to develop into an independent researcher in keeping with the national learning outcomes for a doctoral student.
Trade union representatives
You will find the contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s web page.
The application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter: a one-page summary of your application.
- Curriculum vitae: a document of up to four (4) pages, including all your relevant academic, professional, and other achievements and experience.
- An official copy of the M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree certificate and academic transcript. Applicants in the process of obtaining an M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree must state (with supporting documentation) the expected date of degree completion.
- Recommendation letters: Please send together with your application at least two (2) recommendation letters. Please include detailed contact information for at least two (2) additional references (beyond the two you arranged letters from).
- Statement of purpose: Please state why you wish to pursue a doctoral degree in this research area, giving an account of your academic interests and your background. Maximum of two (2) pages.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Please provide, up to maximum two (2) documents- if any, no longer than ten (10) pages each. For longer documents (e.g., thesis project report), please provide a summary (abstract) and a link to the full text version of the report.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Time limited, in line with the regulations for PhD employment in the Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen) (Approximately 5 years, including 20% teaching).
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement, preferably as soon as possible|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH´s Ph.D. student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||2|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||10.Jan.2017 11:59 PM CET|