Welcome to the course!
After finishing the course the student should be able to:
- Explain and evaluate biopolymer properties based on their structure (at atomic, nano-, micro- and macro-level) and give their chemical structure.
- Relate a specific biopolymer to biological structures in nature.
- Describe the process and explain the material properties and environmental effects of biodegradation.
- Reflect on the polymeric material choices for biomedical applications and pharmaceutical formulations.
- Identify and discuss current environmental issues with a focus on the material’s impact in relation to the sustainable development objectives set by the community.
- Suggest and discuss the choice of biopolymers vs. synthetic polymers suitable for common applications with respect to raw materials, energy aspects, material properties, function, environmental impact, waste management, ethical aspects and economy.
Course examiner: Sigbritt Karlsson, email: email@example.com
All of the course information is available on Canvas.