Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
- Soils in Sweden and soil chemical properties.
- Adsorption of substances to particle surfaces.
- Contaminants (metals and organic pollutants) in soils and waters.
- Redox processes in soils and waters.
- Models for simulation of the behaviour of substances in soil and water.
- Acidification and eutrophication, assessment of environmental status.
Intended learning outcomes
After completion of the course, the students should be able to:
- understand chemical processes in soils and sediments, and the factors affecting the runoff quality.
- assess the mobility of various contaminants in soils and waters.
- plan sampling, interpret chemical analyses.
The course is partly designed as a project in which the chemical properties of a soil is investigated and evaluated.
Literature and preparations
2 years of academic studies in the field of Energy and Environment, course KA1020 Fundamental Chemistry, 7,5 credits, or courses with similar content.
Gustafsson, J.P., Jacks, G., Simonsson, M., Nilsson, I. 2008. Mark och vattenkemi. Teori.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project Assignment, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Written Examination, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AE1801