Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Before the degree project course starts, the student shall identify an appropriate degree project task and formulate a project proposal that can be presented to the examiner for approval. The assignment must be chosen, so that it implies a natural progression of the knowledge and skills that have been acquired within the education.
The student must write an individual plan for the degree project in which the problem description/assignment and the preconditions for the implementation of the work are specified. The individual plan for the degree project should contain a background including a problem description and scientific aspects/question formulations, purpose(s), goals, delimitations, the relevance of the project, methods and time schedule for the implementation of the degree project. The individual plan shall also contain a brief self-reflection where the student accounts for his knowledge to carry out the assignment and the planning for how potential remaining courses, that are required for higher education qualification, shall be completed. The individual plan for the degree project, shall be approved by the examiner.
The student carries out an in-depth pre-study including discussions of method choice and theoretical background with a literature study that is reported as a part of a draft to a preliminary version of the written degree project report.
The student carries out an individual independent project, where knowledge and methods from the education are applied.
The student plans and carries out oral presentation and defence of his or her degree project.
The student carries out an oral and written review of another degree project on the same level.
The student writes and presents a written degree project report, where the student clearly presents and discusses own conclusions in the degree project and the knowledge and the arguments that support them.
The student carries out a self-assessment of the degree project according to the template for "Assessment of quality of degree project for Degree of Master of Science in Engineering and Degree of Bachelor of Science". The self-assessment is enclosed as appendix in the degree project report.
Intended learning outcomes
The purpose of the degree project is that the student shall apply and deepen knowledge, understanding, abilities, and approaches within the contexts of the education. The degree project should be carried out at the end of the education and imply a specialised study and synthesis of earlier acquired knowledge. In the degree project, both the technical/scientific content and method knowledge are emphasised.
After completing the degree project, the student shall demonstrate the knowledge and skills required that is required to work independently within the field of the education according to KTH's local goals for Bachelor's degree based on the outcomes in Higher Education Ordinance. These include:
- show knowledge and understanding within the main area of study, including knowledge of the disciplinary foundation of the field, knowledge of applicable methods in the area, specialisation within some part of the field and orientation about current research and development
- demonstrate the ability to search, collect, evaluate and interpret relevant information critically in a problem
- demonstrate the ability independently to identify, formulate and solve problems and to analyse and evaluate different technical solutions
- demonstrate the ability to integrate and use knowledge
- demonstrate the ability to plan and carry out assignments within given framework
- demonstrate the ability to discuss phenomena, issues and situations critically and model developments based on relevant information
- demonstrate the ability to describe and develop simple proposals for products, processes and systems considering the preconditions and need of people and the aims of the society for economic, social and ecological sustainable development
- demonstrate the ability to in cooperation plan, carry out and present given assignments
- demonstrate the ability to in Swedish or in English, orally and in writing Account for and discuss information, problem and solutions in dialogue with different groups
- demonstrate the ability to (within the main field of study for the education) make assessments considering relevant scientific, social and ethical aspects
- demonstrate an understanding of the role of the knowledge and the technology in the society and the people's responsibility of how these are used
- demonstrate the ability to identify own needs of additional knowledge and to develop own skills.
Literature and preparations
To start a degree project it is required that courses, that are considered relevant to the degree project, have been passed and that at least 120 credits from the programme syllabus of the programme are completed. The student's eligibility, to carry out and complete the degree project, are assessed and accepted by an examiner before course registration.
Course registration and starting the degree project can at the earliest take place during the final semester in the degree programme.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- XUPP - Degree Project, 15.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
- Individual plan for degree project
- Active attendances at two oral presentations of degree project
- Pre-study, discussion of method choices and literature study
- Self-assessment report
- Oral presentation
- Written and oral review of other student's degree project
- Written report with summary/abstract in both Swedish and English
Requirements according to KTH's regulatory framework for degree projects and all examination parts as mentioned above shall be approved within a year from the starting date of the degree project. Otherwise, the degree project will be ended with a failed grade, unless special circumstances apply.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web II143X
Main field of study
In this course, the EECS code of honor applies, see: http://www.kth.se/en/eecs/utbildning/hederskodex.