Approved leave from studies and non-completion of studies

An approved leave from studies allows students to take a temporary break from their studies. Non-completion of studies means that students want to terminate their studies for good.

Approved leave from studies

An approved leave from studies means a temporary break from studying during a definite period as decided by KTH. Once an application is approved and a specific timeframe is agreed, this leave allows students to resume their studies.

The rules for approved leave from studies for students admitted to programmes in the first cycle or the second cycle can be found in the Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen 1993:100) and in the Swedish Council for Higher Education´s regulations (UHRFS 2016:1).

An application for approved leave from studies must be sent to the Office of Student Affairs (utbildningskansli) that is responsible for the degree programme. Either the Director of First and Second Cycle Education (grundutbildningsansvarig) or the Programme Director (programansvarig) will decide on applications for approved leave from studies.

Read more about approved leave of studies and application form


Students who intend to terminate the studies for good must notify this to the School´s Office of Student Affairs (utbildningskansli).

Read more about non-completion of studies and notification form

Who do I turn to?

For more information, please contact the student counsellor who is associated with the degree programme.


Belongs to: Student at KTH
Last changed: Jun 21, 2018