Research experiences are in the fields of open-channel flows and conduit hydraulics, dam refurbishment and dam-safety issues. Main research areas consist of physical hydraulic modelling, numerical computations and general hydraulic investigations, inclusive of spilwayenergy dissipation,dam-break issues, high-velocity two-phase flow modelling, hydraulic transients in hydropower plants, seepage flows in embankment dams and river sediment transport, etc.
Supervisor of PhD students
Supervisor and co-supervisor of +150 diploma work students
# 120+ technical and project reports
# 70+ publications in peer-reviewed international journals
# participation in 80+ international conferences
Peer-reviewed journal publications (as of 2012, earlier not listed)
1. Liu, T & Yang, J (2012). Air-pocket movement in an 18.2° downward 240 mm conduit, experimental studies.Procedia Engineering, Vol. 28, 791-795.
2. Yang, J & Andreasson, P (2012). Headward erosion in embankment dams caused by spillway flood discharge.International Journal Hydropower & Dams, 2012, issue 6.
3. Liu, T & Yang, J (2013). Experimental studies of air-pocket movement in pressurized spillway conduit. Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol. 51, No. 3, 265-272.
4. Liu, T & Yang, J (2013). Incipient motion of solitary air pockets in a rectangular pipe.Journal of Applied Water Engineering and Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, 58-68.
5. Ferdos, F, Yang, J & Wörman, A (2013). Characterization of hydraulic behaviours of coarse rock materials in a large permeameter.Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection. Vol. 1, No. 3, 1-6.
6. Liu, T & Yang, J (2014). Three-dimensional computations of water-air flow in a bottom spillway during gate opening.Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 8(1), 104-115.
7. Yang, J, Liu, T, Bottacin-Busolin, A & Lin, C (2014). Effects of intake-entrance profiles on free-surface vortices.Journal of Hydraulic Research, 52(4), 523‒531, doi:10.1080/00221686.2014.905504.
8. Lin, C, Liu, T, Yang, J & Lu, C (2014). Visualizing Conduit Flows around Solitary Air Pockets by FVT and HSPIV.Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 141(5), 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000867.
9. Liang, SD, Zhang, YL & Yang, J (2015). An experimental study on pile scour mitigating measures under waves and currents.Science China Technological Sciences. 58(6), 1031–1045.
10. Lin, C, Yang, Jet al. (2015). Study on Flow Fields of Boundary-Layer Separation and Hydraulic Jump during Rundown Motion of Shoaling Solitary Wave. Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 9(5), paper 1540002.
11. Teng, PH & Yang, J (2016). CFD modelling of two-phase flow of a spillway chute aerator of large width.Journal of Applied Water Engineering and Research, 4(2), 163‒177.
12. Lin, C, Yang, J et al. (2016). Velocity characteristics in boundary layer flow caused by solitary wave traveling over horizontal bottom.Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 76 (2016), 238‒252.
13. Teng, PH, Yang, J & Pfister M (2016). Studies of two-phase flow at a chute aerator with experiments and CFD modelling.Modelling and Simulations in Engineering, Volume 2016, Article ID 4729128.
14. Yang, J & Andreasson, P (2016). Bending the spillway flow for safety upgrades.International Water Power & Dam Construction, November 2016.
15. Yang, J, Liu, T, Dai, WH & Teng, PH (2018). Transient water-air flow and air demand following an opening outlet gate.Modelling and Simulations in Engineering, Volume 2018, Article ID 3194935.
16. Yang, J, Andreasson, P, Hagström, C-M & Teng, PH (2018). The tale of an intake vortex and its mitigation countermeasure: a case study from Akkats hydropower station.Water, 2018, 10(7), 881.
17. Lin, C, Kao, MJ, Yang, J, Teng, PH & Raikar, RV (2018). Study on probabilistic mean features of lower and upper free-surface profiles and velocity fields of a highly fluctuating free jet over a chute.Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 26(3), 309‒326.
18. Teng, PH & Yang, J (2018). Modeling and prototype testing of flows over flip-bucket aerators.Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 2018, 144(12), 04018069.
19. Xie, QC, Yang, J, Lundström, S & Dai, WH (2018). Understanding morphodynamic changes of a tidal river confluence through field measurements and numerical modeling,Water, 10(10), 1424.
20. Yang, J, Lin, C, Kao, MJ, Teng, PH & Raikar, RV (2018). Application of SIM, HSPIV, BTM and BIV techniques for evaluations of a two-phase air-water aerator flow.Water,10(11), 1590.
21. Yang, J, Teng, PH & Zhang, HW (2018). Experiments and CFD modelling of high-velocity two-phase flow in a large chute aerator facility.Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 13(1), 48–66.
22. Yang, J, Andreasson, P, Teng, PH & Xie, Q.C. (2019) The past and present of discharge capacity modelling for spillways ‒ a Swedish perspective.Fluids, 2019, 4, 10, doi:10.3390/fluids4010010.
23. Xie, QC, Yang, J & Lundström, S (2019). Field studies and 3D modelling of morphodynamics in a meandering river reach dominated by tides and suspended load.Fluids,2019, 4, 15, 10.3390/fluids4010015
24. Yang, J, Teng, PH & Lin, C (2019). Air-vent layouts and water-air flow behaviors of a wide spillway aerator.Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters, 2019, 9, 130–143.
25. Lin, C, Wong, WY, Kao, MJ, Yang, J, et al. (2019). Hydrodynamic features of an undular bore traveling on a 1:20 sloping beach.Water, 2019, 11, 1556.
26. Li, SC, Li, QL & Yang, J (2019). CFD modelling of a stepped spillway with various step layouts.Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Volume 2019, Article ID 6215739,10.1155/2019/6215739.
27. Li, SC, Yang, J & Li, QL (2020). Numerical modelling of air-water flows over a stepped spillway with chamfers & cavity blockages.KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 24(1), 99–109, 10.1007/s12205-020-1115-x.
28. Chen, YJ, Yang, J, Yu, JZ, Fu, ZF & Chen, QS (2020). Flow expansion and deflection downstream of a symmetric multi-gate sluice structure.KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 24(2), 10.1007/s12205-020-1080-4.
29. Lin, C, Kao, MJ, Yang, J et al. (2020). Features of the flow velocity and pressure gradient of an undular bore on a horizontal bed.Physics ofFluids, 32, 043603 (2020),10.1063/5.0001525
30. Lin, C, Kao, MJ, Yang, J et al. (2020). Novel similarities in the free-surface profiles and velocities of solitary waves traveling over a very steep beach.Physics of Fluids, 32, 083601 (2020),10.1063/5.0016444
31. Lin, C, Kao, MJ, Yang, J et al. (2020). Particle acceleration and pressure gradient in a solitary wave traveling over a horizontal bed.AIP Advances, 10, 115210 (2020), 10.1063/5.0028537.
32. Yang, J, Teng, PH, Xie, QC & Li, SC (2020). Understanding water flows and air venting features of spillway – a case study.Water, 12, 2106, 10.3390/w12082106.
33. Xie, QC, Yang, J & Lundström, S (2020). Flow and sediment behaviours and morpho-dynamics of a diffluence−confluence unit.River Research and Applications, 2020(36), 1515–1528, 10.1002/rra.3697.
34. Li, SC, Yang, J & Li, QL (2020). Effects of inclination angles on stepped chute flows.Applied Science, 10, 6202, 10.3390/app10186202.
35. Li, SC, Yang, J, Ma, X & Li, X (2020). Flow features in a pooled fishway with V-shaped weir formation.Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 14(1), 1337‒1350, 10.1080/19942060.2020.1829710
36. Yang, J, Teng, PH, Nan, JH, Li, SC & Ansell A (2020). Assessment and prediction of air entrainment and geyser formation in a bottom outlet: field observations and CFD simulation.Fluids, 2020, 5(4), 203, 10.3390/fluids5040203
37. Xie, QC, Yang, J & Lundström, S (2021). Sediment and morphological changes along Yangtze River’s 500 km between Datong and Xuliujing before and after Three Gorges Dam commissioning.Nature ScientificReports, (2021) 11:13662, 10.1038/s41598-021-93004-2.
38. Lin, C, Kao, M-J, Yang, J, Raikar, RV, Yuan, J-M, Hsieh, S-C (2021). Similarity and Froude Number Similitude in Kinematic and Hydrodynamic Features of Solitary Waves over Horizontal Bed.Processes 2021, 9, 1420, 10.3390/pr9081420.
39. Chen, WC, Zhang, YL, Yang, J, Yu, HF & Liang, SD (2021). Experiments and CFD modeling of a dual-raft wave energy dissipator.Ocean Engineering, 237 (2021) 109648, 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2021.109648.
40. Li, SC, Yang, J & Ansell A (2021). Discharge prediction for rectangular sharp-crested weirs by machine learning techniques.Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 79(2021), 101931, 10.1016/j.flowmeasinst.2021.101931.
41. Li, SC, Yang, J & Liu, W (2021). Estimation of aerator air demand by an embedded multi-gene genetic programming.Journal of Hydroinformatics, 23(5), 1000‒1013, 10.2166/hydro.2021.037.
42. Li, SC & Yang, J (2022). A hybrid gene expression programming model for discharge prediction. Water Management, 175(6), ??.
43. Li, SC, Xie, QC & Yang, J (2022). Daily suspended sediment forecast by an integrated dynamic neural network. Journal of Hydrology, 604 (2022), 127258.
44. Li, SC, Yang, J & Ansell, A (2022). Evaluation of pool-type fish passage with labyrinth weirs. Sustainability, 14(3), 1098.
45. Xie, QC, Yang, J, Lundström, S & Chen, JR (2022). Hybrid modeling for solutions of sediment deposition in a low-land reservoir with multigate sluice structure. Applied Sciences, 12(18), 9144.
46. Li, SC & Yang, J (2022). Modeling of suspended load with Bayesian optimized machine learning methods with seasonal adjustment. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics,16(1), 1883‒1901 .
47. Lin, C, Kao, M-J, Yang, J & Yuan, JM (2022). Effect of nonlinearity on velocity, acceleration and pressure gradient of solitary wave over horizontal bed. Water,
48. Li, SC & Yang, J (2022). Improvement in river water-stage forecasts by ensemble learning. Engineering with computers,
49. Yang, J, Li, SC & Lin, C (2022). Plausible differences between laboratory & prototype behaviors of spillway aerator flows. Water,
50. Yang, J & Li, SC (2022). A complementary approach of air supply to a chute spillway aerator. Water,