· From 23rd January 2023_Qualified for the position of Associate Professor in Italy (Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale II fascia) in Industrial Chemistry (SSD: Chim/04; SC: 03/C2)
· Marie Sklodowska Curie Individual Fellow in the Division of Polymer Technology at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
20th September 2021 – present, Research project “SUSTAINABLE- Library of inedited bio-based multicomponent resins for the 3D-printing of self-healing, recyclable thermosets
Supervisor: Prof. Minna Hakkarainen.
The project is financed by the European Commission under the Grant Agreement number: 101021859
In the framework of this project, I’m working on the synthesis of innovative bio-based resins endowed with dynamic covalent bonds and photosensitive functions, for the obtainment of photocurable, recyclable and self-healable thermosets. I’m also investigating the potential of Digital Light 3D Printing Technology for the printing of the resins with the aim to obtain tridimensional objects, showing high shape-accuracy.
· Post-doc research fellow at the Department of Chemistry “Giacomo Ciamician”, Alma Mater Studiorum-Università di Bologna
1st February 2021 –15th September 2021, Research project “Development of nanostructured electrically-responsive materials for artificial muscles”
1st February 2019 – 31st January 2021, Research project “Polymeric materials for advanced applications and functionalization”.
Tutor: Prof. Maria Letizia Focarete.
During the research activity in the Group of Polymer Science and Biomaterials at the Department of Chemistry, I worked on: design and optimization of experimental set-up for the production of innovative micro/nanostructured electrospun mats and composites; chemical strategies for the synthesis of conductive coatings on the surface of electrospun fibers; chemical strategies for the crosslinking of polymeric scaffolds; advanced techniques for the characterization of polymeric substrates in the solid-state.
· Research fellow at the Interdepartmental Centre for Industrial Research – Advanced Mechanics and Materials, Alma Mater Studiorum – Università di Bologna
1st May 2016 – 30th Jun 2018, Research fellow in the Project: POR FESR 14-20, European Funding for the Regional Development, “TECNO_EN-P: Generation of "smart materials" to be applied in biomedical devices for the selective removal of cells and soluble or suspended substances in biological fluids [E82I16000240007] ”
Tutor: Dr. Matteo Gherardi, Prof. Maria Letizia Focarete
During the project, I worked on the design, set-up and optimization of cold atmospheric pressure plasma processes for the functionalization of polymeric substrates employed for the conjugation of biomolecules (i.e. antibodies, peptides) for the selective capture of mesenchymal stem cells and tumoral cells. I also worked on the plasma assisted functionalization and crosslinking of polymeric membranes, properly designed for the selective capture of lipidic particles during extracorporeal blood circulation.
· Co-founder of AlmaPlasma s.r.l., SPIN OFF of Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna from 9th May 2013-present.
AlmaPlasma designs and markets atmospheric pressure non-thermal plasma sources for either large area and localized treatments.
· 1st January 2013 –31st December 2015, Ph.D in Mechanics and Advanced Engineering Sciences– Thesis title: Functional modification of materials and synthesis of nanostructures by non-equilibrium atmospheric pressure plasma processes
Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna
Tutor: Prof. Vittorio Colombo
1. 2023_Teacher and Lab assistant for the Course “Polymeric Materials: structure and properties" at KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
2. 2022_Lab assistant for the Master Course “Polymer Physics” at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
3. 2022_Teacher for the Course “Design, Fabrication, and Characterization of Advanced Materials for Biomedical Applications” in the Ph.D Program at the Institute of Fundamental Technological Research of the Polish Academy Sciences, Warsaw (Poland).
4. 2022_Teacher on the following topics: development and characterization of shape-memory polymers, development of polymeric substrates for biomedical applications, for the Undergraduated Courses “Biomaterials and Artificial Organs” and “Introduction to Materials for Health” at Université Laval, Quebec City, Canada.
5. 2021_Teacher assistant for the Bachelor Course “Examensarbete inom Teknisk kemi, grundnivå” (Project of Bachelor Degree in Technical Chemistry) at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
6. 2018_Adjunct Professor of “Laboratory of materials technologies and industrial applications of plasma” Bachelor degree at Alma Mater Studiorum-Università di Bologna.
PRIZES AND AWARDS
2023 - Applicant and Principal Investigator of the project "Bio-based photocurable personalized scaffolds for biomedical applications" awarded in the frame of STINT Initiation Grants programme. The project focuses on the building of new and strategically interesting international relationships between the Division of Polymer Technology at KTH and the Lab Biomaterials and Bioengineering at Laval University, Quebec, Canada.
Details on STINT Initiation Grants programme: The purpose of STINT's activity is to strengthen the competitiveness of Swedish universities and colleges through the development of international relationships. The internationalisation of higher education and research is mainly based on concerted, long-term efforts. Sometimes however, it is important to be able to act quickly when the opportunity arises. STINT offers Initiation Grants for this purpose. Initiation grants are given for the implementation of short-term projects targeting the building of new and strategically interesting international relationships. Collaborations with partners outside the EU/EFTA are eligible.
2021 – H2020-MSCA-IF-2020, Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowhip Award with the project “SUSTAINABLE” in collaboration with the KTH in Stockholm, Sweden. GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER 101021859 — SUSTAINABLE
2020 –NCN “POLS” call Award with the project “Personalized scaffolds for regenerative medicine: integration of shape-memory polymers, additive manufacturing, and electrospinning technologies”.
Details on NCN “POLS” call: One of three calls funded from the Norway Grants 2014-2021 under the Research Programme, within which the NCN operates the area devoted to basic research. POLS is designed to support researcher mobility with small grants, targeting researchers residing abroad (all over the world) who wish to conduct research in Poland. The arrival of renowned and promising scientists holding at least a PhD degree will serve to boost the research potential of Polish research entities.
Since I would have to perform this project concomitantly with the MSCA, I decided to renounce this grant in favor of the MSCA fellowship.
– 2021 – Best oral presentation at the international conference “Poly-Char 2020 – International polymer characterization forum”, Venice, Italy, 12-14 April 2021.
– 2016 - "Claudio Bonivento 2016 Award – Scientific research and technological innovation", granted by Lions Club Bologna and conferred by University of Bologna - Lions Club Bologna. The Award is conferred to the Ph.D theses of the Alma Mater Studiorum-Università di Bologna showing the most interesting scientific content, novelty, and social value.
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
· GREEN-MAP Project (Horizon 2020; MSCA-RISE-2019) - 2020-2021: Title: “Novel green polymeric materials for medical packaging and disposable to improve hospital sustainability”
In the project, I was a member of the Research Management Committee.
· MAGNIFY Project (Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program) - 2018-2021: Title: “From nano to macro: a groundbreaking actuation technology for robotic system”. Object: MAGNIFY aims to develop a new generation of artificial muscles for robotic systems. The artificial muscle will be realized by using artificial molecular machines, organized in polymer nanofibers and individually controlled by external stimuli.
· MY-LEG Project (Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program) - 2018-2021: Title: “Smart and intuitive osseointegrated transfemoral prosthesis embodying advanced dynamic behaviours” Object: MyLeg will develop a new generation of powered transfemoral prosthetic legs that can be intuitively operated, sensed, and trusted as a healthy and reliable counterpart for a variety of tasks.
· TECNO_EN-P Project POR-FESR 2014-2020 European Funding for the Regional Development. Title: “Generation of "smart materials" to be applied in biomedical devices for the selective removal of cells and soluble or suspended substances in biological fluids [E82I16000240007]
· ECOPACK-LAB Project POR-FESR 2014-2020 European Funding for the Regional Development. Title: “Laboratory for the application of advanced technologies for the production of innovative packaging”.
· PLASMAT Project, Granted by Alma Mater Studiorum – Università di Bologna. Title: “Plasma-assisted preparation and modification of molecular and macromolecular materials for biomedical, pharmaceutical and energy applications”
· European project networking COST ACTION TD1208. Title: “Electrical discharges with liquids for future applications”
· European project networking COST ACTION MP1101. Title: “Bio-Plasma - Biomedical applications of atmospheric pressure plasma technology”
- 2022- Invited speaker to the International Conference “1st Baltic Symposium on Polymers and (Bio)Materials Science, From Materials Design to Advanced Structures”, Szczecin (Polonia). Title of oral presentation “Photocurable, self-healing and recyclable vanillin-based imine thermosets”.
- 2022- Keynote speaker to the Confer “International e-Conference on Biopolymers”. Titolo della presentazione orale “Hybrid composite scaffolds for spinal interbody fusion”.
- 2020- Invited speaker to the SINCHEM Winter School 2020, Department of Industrial Chemistry “Toso Montanari”, Università di Bologna
- Participation in several international conferences as a speaker.
- Correlator of more than 20 Bachelor and Master Thesis
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue “Advanced Green Polymeric Materials for the Medical Sector” on Polymers (MDPI, Open Access Journal, ISSN 2073-4360).
- Referee for Scientific International Journals.
- Inventor of the patent ITBO20130444A1. Authors of the patent: V. Colombo; E. Ghedini; P. Sanibondi; M. Gherardi; R. Laurita; A. Liguori; A. Stancampiano; A. Fridman. Priority data: August 6th 2013.
Anna Liguori co-authored 37 scientific publications on international, peer-reviewed Journals.
h-index (Scopus) = 14; Number of citation (Scopus) = 554 (updated at February 25th 2023).
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS:
1. Liguori, A.; Petri, E.; Gualandi, C.; Dolci, L.S.; Marassi, V.; Petretta, M.; Zattoni, A.; Roda, B.; Grigolo, B.; Olivotto, E.; Grassi, F.; Focarete, M.L.; Controlled Release of H2S from Biomimetic Silk Fibroin–PLGA Multilayer Electrospun Scaffolds; Biomacromolecules 2023.
2. Di Pompo G.: Liguori A.; Carlini, M.; Avnet S.; Boi M.; Baldini N.; Focarete M.L.; Bianchi M.; Gualandi C.; Graziani G.; Electrospun fibers coated with nanostructured biomimetic hydroxyapatite: A new platform for regeneration at the bone interfaces, Biomaterial Advaces 2023, 144, 213231.
I'm first Author of this work together with G. Di Pompo.
3. Liguori, A.; Subramaniyan, S.; Yao, J. G.; Hakkarainen, M.; Photocurable extended vanillin-based resin for mechanically and chemically recyclable, self-healable and digital light processing 3D printable thermosets, European Polymer Journal 2022, 178, 111489.
4. Liguori A.; Hakkarainen M.; Designed from Biobased Materials for Recycling: Imine-Based Covalent Adaptable Networks, Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2022, 43, 2100816
5. Liguori A.; Gino M.E.; Panzavolta S.; Torricelli P.; Maglio M.; Parrilli A.; Gualandi C.; Griffoni C.; Barbanti Brodano G.; Fini M.; Focarete M.L., Tantalum nanoparticles enhance the osteoinductivity of multiscale composites based on poly(lactide-co-glycolide) electrospun fibers embedded in a gelatin hydrogel, Materials Today Chemistry 2022, 24, 100804.
6. Liguori A., De Vita A., Rossi G., Dolci L.S., Panzavolta S., Gualandi C., Mercatali L., Ibrahim T., Focarete M.L., A Modular Composite Device of Poly(EthyleneOxide)/Poly(Butylene Terephthalate) (PEOT/PBT) Nanofibers and Gelatin as a Dual Drug Delivery System for Local Therapy of Soft Tissue Tumors, International Journal of Molecular Science 2022, 23, 3239
7. Liguori A., Pandini S., Rinoldi C., Zaccheroni N., Pierini F., Focarete M.L., Gualandi C., Thermoactive Smart Electrospun Nanofibers, Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 2022
8. Liverani L., Liguori A., Zezza P., Gualandi C., Toselli M., Boccaccini A. R., Focarete M. L., Nanocomposite electrospun fibers of poly(ε-caprolactone)/bioactive glass with shape memory properties, Bioactive Materials 2022, 11, pp. 230–239.
I'm first author of this work together with L. Liverani
9. Rinoldi C., Zargarian S.S., Nakielski P., Li X., Liguori A., Petronella F., Presutti D.,Wang Q., Costantini M., De Sio L., Gualandi C., Ding B. Nanotechnology-Assisted RNA Delivery: From Nucleic Acid Therapeutics to COVID-19 Vaccines, Small Methods 5, 9, 2021.
10. Fusaro L., Gualandi C., Antonioli D., Soccio M., Liguori A., Laus M., Lotti N., Boccafoschi F., Focarete M.L. Elastomeric Electrospun Scaffolds of a Biodegradable Aliphatic Copolyester Containing PEG-like Sequences for Dynamic Culture of Human Endothelial Cells, Biomolecules, 10, 12, 2020.
11. Montanari U., Taresco V., Liguori A., Gualandi C., Howdle S. M. Synthesis of novel carvone (meth)acrylate monomers for the production of hydrophilic polymers with high terpene content, Polymer International 2020, DOI 10.1002/pi.6096.
12. Liguori A., Gualandi C., Focarete M.L., Biscarini F., Bianchi M. The Pulsed Electron Deposition Technique for Biomedical Applications: A Review, Coatings, 10, 16, 2020
13. Di Gesù R., Gualandi C., Zucchelli A., Liguori A., Paltrinieri, L., Focarete M.L. Biodegradable electrospun fibers enriched with struvite crystal seeds for the recovery of phosphorous and nitrogen, European Polymer Journal, 122, 109389, 2020
14. Liguori A., Uranga J., Panzavolta S., Guerrero P., de la Caba K., Focarete M.L. Electrospinning of fish gelatin solution containing citric acid: An environmentally friendly approach to prepare crosslinked gelatin fibers, Materials, 12(17), 2019.
15. Crestale L.; Laurita R., Liguori A., Stancampiano A., Talmon M., Bisag A., Gherardi M., Amoruso A., Colombo V., Fresu L. Cold Atmospheric Pressure Plasma Treatment Modulates Human Monocytes/Macrophages Responsiveness, Plasma, 1(2), 2018.
16. Liguori A., Gallingani T., Padmanaban D.B., Laurita R., Velusamy T., Jain G., Macias-Montero M., Mariotti D., Gherardi M. Synthesis of Copper-Based Nanostructures in Liquid Environments by Means of a Non-equilibrium Atmospheric Pressure Nanopulsed Plasma Jet, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, 38, 6, 2018.
17. Barletta F., Liguori A., Leys C., Colmbo V., Gherardi M., Nikiforov A. Novel method for NH-rich coatings engineering by means of aerosol assisted atmospheric pressure plasma deposition, Materials Letters, 214, 2017.
18. Dolci L.S., Liguori A., Panzavolta S., Miserocchi A., Passerini N., Gherardi M., Colombo V., Bigi A., Albertini B. Non-equilibrium atmospheric pressure plasma as innovative method to crosslink and enhance mucoadhesion of econazole-loaded gelatin films for buccal drug delivery, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 163, 2017.
19. Liguori A., Cochis A., Stancampiano A., Laurita R., Azzimonti B., Sorrentino R., Varoni E.M., Petri M., Colombo, V., Gherardi M., Rimondini L. Cold atmospheric plasma affects early bacteria adhesion and decontamination of soft reline palatal obturators, Clinical Plasma Medicine 7-8, 2017.
20. Velusamy T., Liguori A., Macias-Montero M., Padmanaban D.B., Carolan D., Gherardi M., Colombo V., Maguire P., Svrcek V., Mariotti D. Ultra-small CuO nanoparticles with tailored energy-band diagram synthesized by a hybrid plasma-liquid process, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 14, 2017.
21. Liguori A., Bigi A., Colombo V., Focarete M.L., Gherardi, M., Gualandi C, Oleari M.C., Panzavolta S. Atmospheric Pressure Non-Equilibrium Plasma as a Green Tool to Crosslink Gelatin Nanofibers, Scientific Reports, 6, 2016
22. Dolci L.S., Liguori A., Merlettini A., Calzà L., Castellucci M., Gherardi M., Colombo V., Focarete M.L. Antibody immobilization on poly(L-lactic acid) nanofibers advantageously carried out by means of a non-equilibrium atmospheric plasma process, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 49, 27, 2016
23. Gualandi C., Bloise N., Mauro N., Ferruti P., Manfredi A., Sampaolesi M., Liguori A., Laurita R., Gherardi M., Colombo V., Visai L, Focarete M.L., Ranucci E. Poly-L-Lactic Acid Nanofiber–Polyamidoamine Hydrogel Composites: Preparation, Properties and Preliminary Evaluation as Scaffolds for Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Culturing, Macromolecular Bioscience, DOI: 10.1002/mabi.201600061, 2016.
24. Laurita R., Alviano F., Marchionni C., Abruzzo P.M., Bolotta A., Bonsi L., Colombo V., Gherardi M., Liguori A., Ricci F., Rossi M., Stancampiano A, Tazzari P.L., Marini M. A study of the effect on human mesenchymal stem cells of an atmospheric pressure plasma source driven by different voltage waveforms, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 49, 36, 2016.
25. Simoncelli E., Barbieri D., Laurita R., Liguori A., Stancampiano A., Viola L., Tonini R., Gherardi M., Colombo V. Preliminary investigation of the antibacterial efficacy of a handheld plasma gun source for endodontic procedures, Clinical Plasma Medicine, 3, 2, 2015.
26. Liguori A., Traldi E., Toccaceli E., Laurita R., Pollicino A., Focarete M.L, Colombo V., Gherardi M. Co-deposition of plasma-polymerized polyacrylic acid and silver nanoparticles for the production of nanocomposite coatings using a non-equilibrium atmospheric pressure plasma jet, Plasma Processes and Polymers 2015, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201500143.
27. Liguori A., Pollicino A., Stancampiano A., Tarterini F., Focarete M.L., Colombo V., Gherardi M. Deposition of plasma-polymerized polyacrylic acid coatings by a nonequilibrium atmospheric pressure nanopulsed plasma jet, Plasma Processes and Polymers 2015, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201500080.
28. Boselli M., Colombo V., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Sanibondi P., Simoncelli E., Stancampiano A. Characterization of a cold atmospheric pressure plasma jet device driven by nanosecond voltage pulses, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science 2015, 43, 3.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to carry out the experimental activities described in the paper and to write the manuscript.
29. Barbieri D., Boselli M., Cavrini F., Colombo V., Gherardi M., Landini M.P., Laurita R., Liguori A., Stancampiano A. Investigation of the antimicrobial activity at safe levels for eukaryotic cells of a low power atmospheric pressure inductively coupled plasma source, Biointerphases 2015, 10, 029519.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to characterize the plasma discharge generated by the inductively coupled plasma source and to write the manuscript.
30. Liguori A., Paltrinieri L., Stancampiano A., Gualandi C., Gherardi M., Colombo V., Focarete M.L. Solid-State Crosslinking of Polysaccharide Electrospun Fibers by Atmospheric Pressure Non-Equilibrium Plasma: A Novel Straightforward Approach, Plasma Processes and Polymers 2015, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201500054.
31. Gherardi M., Turrini E., Laurita R., De Gianni E., Ferruzzi L., Liguori A., Stancampiano A., Colombo V., Fimognari, C. Atmospheric Non-Equilibrium Plasma Promotes Cell Death and Cell-Cycle Arrest in a Lymphoma Cell Line, Plasma Processes and Polymers 2015, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201500033.
32. Boselli M., Colombo V., Ghedini E., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A. Sanibondi P., Stancampiano A. High-Speed Multi-Imaging of Repetitive Unipolar Nanosecond-Pulsed DBDs, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Images in Plasma Science 2014, 42, 10.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to carry out the diagnostic of the plasma discharge.
33. Bianconi S., Cavrini F., Colombo V., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Sanibondi P., Stancampiano A. ICCD imaging of the transition from uncoupled to coupled mode in a plasma source for biomedical and materials treatment applications, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Images in Plasma Science 2014, 42, 10.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to the design of the plasma source described in the paper and to write the paper.
34. Boselli M., Cavrini F., Colombo V., Ghedini E., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Sanibondi P., Stancampiano A. High-speed and Schlieren imaging of a low power inductively coupled plasma source for potential biomedical applications, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Images in Plasma Science 2014, 42, 10.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to write the paper.
35. Boselli M., Colombo V., Ghedini E., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Sanibondi P., Stancampiano A. Schlieren high-speed imaging of a nanosecond pulsed atmospheric pressure non-equilibrium plasma jet, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processes 2014, 34, 4.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to perform the diagnostic of the plasma discharge.
36. Dolci L.S., Quiroga S.D., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Sanibondi P., Fiorani A., Calzà L., Colombo V., Focarete, M.L. Carboxyl Surface Functionalization of Poly(L-lactic acid) Electrospun Nanofibers through Atmospheric Non-Thermal Plasma Affects Fibroblast Morphology, Plasma Processes and Polymers 2014, 11, 3.
37. Boselli M., Colombo V., De Angelis M.G., Ghedini E., Gherardi M., Laurita R., Liguori A., Minelli M., Rotundo F., Sanibondi P., Stancampiano A. Comparing the effects of different atmospheric pressure non- equilibrium plasma sources on PLA oxygen permeability, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2012, 406, 012038.
Authors in alphabetic order. I contributed to perform the plasma treatment of the membranes and their characterization.