The advanced course Foundation Engineering is given by the department of Civil and Architectural Engineering and is a part of the program with the same name. The advanced course gives an introduction to foundation analysis and design, with focus on pile foundations, retaining walls, sheet pile walls and ground improvement methods. The course is a continuation course on the undergraduate course in geotechnical engineering.
After completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Design a single pile with regard to geotechnical bearing capacity and structural capacity.
- Design and optimize a pile group considering relative costs.
- Design a retaining wall, considering costs, overturns, slides and failures due to the loss of bearing capacity of the soil supporting the base.
- Design a sheet pile wall, considering different soil properties, the groundwater table, the momentum capacity of the sheet pile wall, failures due to loss of stability of the bottom, the capacity of the anchor and failures due to rotation of the sheet pile wall.
- Choose a proper method for ground improvement, and design considering costs, stability and settlements.
The course uses BILDA as platform. Course coordinator is Prof. Stefan Larsson. Stefan.firstname.lastname@example.org