Log in to your course web
You are not logged in KTH, so we cannot customize the content.
Course main content
The aim of the course is to provide students with: a broad knowledge in all aspects of tunneling i.e. planning, design and construction; and deeper knowledge in four areas of tunneling: (1) excavation with drilling and blasting method, (2) design of support (3) hydrogeology, water related problems and grouting and (4) tunnel cost and time planning.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course students will be able to:
- Identify main characteristics of different ground behaviour,
- Identify and plan tunnel excavation method from technical, production, and sustainability point of view,
- Design tunnel reinforcement based on empirical, analytical and numerical assessment depending on complexity and acquire a holistic perspective on the design process,
- Analyse water ingress to tunnels and identify possible water related problems for excavation, as well as plan and implement suitable tunnel draining and/or grouting methods,
- Analyse cost and time for ordinary tunnels based on risks and construction management principles.