Born in Stockholm, Sweden, Jonas studied at the MSc program in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology with a specialization toward organic and physical chemistry, from which he graduated in 2009 after exchange year at University of Tokyo and summer internship at Princeton University. He defended his PhD in chemical physics in 2014 at Stockholm University and received Sigrid Arrhenius stipendium for eminent research during his graduate studies, which included three years as visiting physicist at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in 2010-2013. In 2014-2015 he was a postdoctoral fellow in biophysics at Uppsala University. In 2016 he returned to KTH as assistant professor at the Department of Applied Physics and was promoted to associate professor in 2020. He is currently principal investigator of the Coherent X-ray Scattering Group in the Division of Biomedical and X-ray Physics and teaches BSc, MSc and PhD students in electromagnetism and waves, x-ray physics and their applications. In 2018, he received the Göran Gustafsson prize for young researchers and the FELs of Europe award on FEL Science and Applications. In 2020, he became docent in physics with specialization in x-ray science.
His research focuses on coherent diffractive imaging and time-resolved x-ray spectroscopy using x-ray free electron lasers (XFELs). Particular research interests include water structure and ice nucleation upon deep supercooling, single-particle imaging of viruses and cells, ultrafast pump-probe spectroscopy of CO desorption and oxidation on metal surfaces, time-resolved serial femtosecond crystallography of photosystem II, and sample delivery at XFELs using liquid microjets and aerosols.
- K. H. Kimet al., Maxima in the Thermodynamic Response and Correlation Functions of Deeply Supercooled Water, Science 358, 1589-1593 (2017)
- J. A. Sellberg et al., Ultrafast X-ray probing of water structure below the homogeneous ice nucleation temperature, Nature 510, 381-384 (2014)
- H. Öströmet al., Probing the transition state region in catalytic CO oxidation on Ru, Science 347, 978-982 (2015)
- M. Dell’Angelaet al., Real-Time Observation of Surface Bond Breaking with an X-ray Laser, Science 339, 1302-1305 (2013)
- J. Kernet al., Simultaneous Femtosecond X-ray Spectroscopy and Diffraction of Photosystem II at Room Temperature, Science 340, 491-495 (2013)
We are always looking for motivated and talented BSc, MSc and PhD students! Contact for more information.
Degree Project in Applied Physics, Second Cycle (SK202X), examiner | Course web
Electromagnetism and Waves (SK1110), examiner, course responsible, teacher, assistant | Course web
Electromagnetism and Waves (SK1115), examiner, teacher, course responsible | Course web
Electromagnetism and Waves (SK1117), teacher | Course web
Experimental Physics (SK1105), teacher | Course web
X-ray physics and applications (SK2551), teacher | Course web