Professional Swedish for Master students
This course in Swedish for Master's students doing their second year at KTH will help you develop your language proficiency to an intermediate level, usable at Swedish places of work.
Certificate in Intermediate level of Swedish
Participation is free of charge. The participants will not receive academic credits after completing the course, but a certificate can be issued if the following requirements are fulfilled:
- All compulsory assignments passed
- Attendance in seminars
The main purpose of the course is to help you develop your Swedish from an elementary level (A2) to at least an intermediate (B1), where you can use the language independently. The focus will be on professional language used in the workplace, thereby helping you find employment and function on the Swedish labour market.
The expected learning outcomes for the course mainly refer to the level B1 according to CEFR, the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
On completion of the course, the student should, in addition to what is specified in courses at lower levels, be able to:
- understand the main content of clearly spoken standard Swedish on subjects that concern well-known phenomena and fields of personal interest
- follow instructions from other engineers
- broadly understand many radio and TV programmes in slowly and clearly spoken Swedish about current issues or about subjects of personal interest
- understand authentic texts, such as descriptions, written in high-frequency language on familiar engineering topics
- use a range of simple language to deal with formal and informal situations, and suggest solutions
- interact in a conversation about work and ask questions to develop the topic of conversation
- recount current work and previous experiences
- present data, describe specific processes and deliver a presentation about a topic within a familiar field of engineering
- compose succinct definitions and produce simple text to inform readers about familiar topics in the engineering field
- use the conventions of formal correspondence
Course main content
Exercises in understanding and expressing oneself in somewhat more nuanced Swedish. Exercises in pronunciation, prosody and spoken interaction; Conversations, discussions and presentations. Reading of texts within general subject areas. Production of written texts of a personal and everyday character.
Schedule Autumn 2023
Classes every Tuesday at 16:00-18:00 on KTH Campus with start on 5 September. Rooms tba.
Rivstart Yrkesliv. Recommended reference literature and electronic resources will be listed in the course information or in a similar way.
The course presupposes basic skills in Swedish (A2) corresponding to the level of Swedish for Advanced Beginners. All applicants are required to take the placement test before applying.
The application form for Autumn semester 2023 will be available on this page from August 13 to August 31. On applying, you will receive an automatic confirmation.
Mr. Mateusz Moszkowicz: email@example.com