Master's programme in Environomical Pathways for Sustainable Energy Systems (SELECT)
The joint master's programme in Environomical Pathways for Sustainable Energy Systems (SELECT) is offered by five European universities through InnoEnergy. The programme is for engineers who want immediate, hands-on experience of solving real-world energy challenges. Sharing their inspiration with industrial partners, students explore the societal aspects of a changing energy landscape and the environmental impacts of renewable energy projects, while adding depth to their engineering knowledge.
Environomical Pathways for Sustainable Energy Systems at KTH
Equipping you with additional skills in problem analysis and solving, advanced team-building, and international cooperation, completing the joint master’s Pathways for Sustainable Energy Systems programme means you are perfectly placed to help drive the transition to future sustainable energy systems.
Throughout the programme, you will have unrivalled opportunities to engage directly with major industrial players, as well as smaller actors, NGOs and start-ups in the field of sustainable energy. Recent partners have included: ABB, SWECO, Estabanell Energia, the National Property Board of Sweden, Jardfeingi, Fortum and Vattenfall. You will be able to share ideas, learn from their experiences, and gain invaluable insights into the journey from basic renewable energy sources to future sustainable energy systems. Your goal is minimal environmental impact from primary fuel source to delivered service.
You will join students from all over the world at two different universities and one of Europe’s leading business schools. After successfully completing the programme and your thesis, you will receive a master’s degree from two of the following institutions in the form of a double diploma:
- Master of Engineering, from AGH: University of Science and Technology, Poland
- Master of Energy Engineering and Management, from IST: Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal
- Master of Science, KTH: Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Master of Science in Engineering Sustainable Energy Technology, from TU/e: Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
- Master of Energy Engineering, from UPC: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech, Spain
- Master of Science (Technology), from Aalto University, Finland
- Master of Energy and Nuclear Engineering, from PoliTo: Politecnico di Torino, Italy
MSc SELECT Grand Challenge
The MSc SELECT programme is characterised by what we call Grand Challenge Projects, in which you work in teams with your fellow students to apply your knowledge and skills to real-life projects. The projects give you unique insights into the challenges and solutions for future energy markets and systems. The projects are commissioned by one of our industrial partners, and teams compete to have their solution taken forward. All challenges have a strong societal focus, with a clear commercial interest and benefit, and often involve inter-continental collaboration. You complete one project in your first year and one in your second.
Recent examples of Grand Challenge Projects include:
- Inventing a solution for securing the Faroe Islands’ energy supply via regulative and market-based set-ups for renewable energy systems, commissioned by Jardfeingi.
- Inventing a solution for a ‘self-healing’ energy supply to the island of Utklippan commissioned by the National Property Board of Sweden.
- Developing a knowledge and experience package for future worldwide development of sustainable energy supplies to distant or isolated regions with micro-grids, commissioned by Estabanell Energia and involving Smart Rural Grid.
The programme is accredited by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
On successful completion of the programme you will have developed:
- Broad knowledge of renewable energy technologies and system integration
- In-depth knowledge in highly relevant areas of specialisation
- The skills to analyse and solve multi-disciplinary problems
- Advanced team-building skills in a multi-national setting
- Direct experience of real-life challenges and hands-on projects
- An appreciation of the value of collaboration and inter-disciplinary teamwork
The joint master’s programme in Pathways for Sustainable Energy Systems (SELECT) is the ideal preparation for a career in various areas of the sustainable energy industry, and equips you with skills, knowledge and attributes that are much in demand in the energy industry.
Our students have gone on to a diverse range of careers including:
- Environmental consultant
- Power market analyst
- Business developer in power systems
- Associate design engineer
- Sustainability project engineer
- Design engineer in electrical and control systems
- Doctoral studies
Thanks to the quality of the theoretical and practical technical education, innovation management and business skills, our students and graduates have also won a number of prestigious prizes over the years. Recent examples include:
- EDP University Challenge 2013
- Emprèn Contest 2013
- EIT Change Award 2015
- MIT Climate CoLab Energy Supply Contest 2016
- Forbes 30 Under 30 Europe: Social Entrepreneurs Competition 2016
Find out what students from the programme think about their time at KTH.