KTH - CSC Programme
Thanks to an agreement between KTH and the China Scholarship Council (CSC), a number of scholarships can be offered to Chinese citizens applying to KTH. The KTH management has made the decision to open the process for doctoral students with 48 months scholarships from CSC.
Due to the changes of the Higher Education Ordinance (chapter 7, paragraph 36) for doctoral students with scholarships, the following now applies:
· An externally financed additional scholarship must be created. It must be clearly stated that external financier has given the approval of using the funds for scholarships
· The additional scholarship should be equal to the difference between the CSC-scholarship and ”doktorandstegen” (salary grades for doctoral student employment) after taxes.
· The additional scholarship has to be adjusted in relation to changes in the collective agreement (kollektivavtal) for ”doktorandstegen” and for doctoral student’s advancement to a higher level
CSC awards scholarships of 12000 kr + 3000 kr =15000 kr monthly.
The level of ”doktorandstegen” at KTH is (after tax deduction, table 32, 2018)
Level 1, 22340
Level 2, 22768
Level 3, 24057
Level 4, 25653
General Academic Entry Requirements
Equivalent to a Swedish Master's degree when you start your PhD studies at KTH (Master's degree or at least two years of study in combined “Master+PhD” programs at recognized Chinese universities)
English proficiency for PhD applicants:
IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall (no subscore below 5.5) or TOEFL (iBT) 90 (written, minimum 20)
For all applicants for KTH-CSC PhD studies: please note that the invitation letter must be signed by the Vice Dean of Faculty at KTH, but not by an individual KTH supervisor.
The positions available are described in the following document:
In order to apply for a KTH-CSC PhD position
- Make an online application via the web based application form:
- Download, fill out, print and sign the following application form:
- Collect the required documents according to the checklist in the application form.
- Send the scans of the complete application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadlines: Feb. 11th, 2018
Internal assessment procedure is carried out by the KTH-CSC Assessment Committee. Qualified candidates will be notified and receive invitation letters signed by the KTH Vice Dean of Faculty by the end of February.
Qualified applicants use the invitation letters to apply for the scholarships to CSC (more info at), together with copies of other documents required by CSC.
You can only send one application to KTH for each application period. Multiple applications (e.g. to multiple KTH supervisors) are NOT accepted.
Regional Advisor for China
International Relations Office
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
+46 73-270 28 81