KTH-CSC Programme is based on the agreement between KTH and the China Scholarship Council (CSC), a number of scholarships can be offered to Chinese citizens applying to KTH. According to the agreement, each year the available scholarships are up to degree-seeking Full PhD students (50), Visiting PhD students (20) and Visiting scholars (5).
KTH-CSC programme (Entry 2021) starts now!
Current step: Call for positions (Sept. 2 - Oct. 11, 2020)
We are please to announce that the new round of KTH-CSC programme (Entry 2021) starts now! Call for position email has been sent to KTH schools, and we are expecting all supervisors who are interested in KTH-CSC programme to register positions in the internal database (see internal email) before Oct. 11, 2020. The final available positions will be published online on Oct. 25, 2020.
Rules and policy for entry 2021
Due to the changes of the Higher Education Ordinance (chapter 7, paragraph 36) for doctoral students with scholarships, the following rules now apply:
- Full PhD students (Degree-seeking students) admitted from July 1 2018 should be financed by scholarship for four years. And the scholarship should meet the income requirements of KTH for doctoral students, therefore the scholarship structure of CSC-KTH programme is: CSC scholarship + additional scholarship.
- KTH schools should set up an additional scholarship, and the additional scholarship should be only provided by external financiers who have given due written approval. Apart from top-up doctoral scholarships, no KTH scholarships are allowed for doctoral education.
- The additional scholarship should be arranged by responsible supervisors. it should be equal to the difference between the CSC-scholarship and ”doktorandstegen” (salary grades for doctoral student employment) after taxes. CSC awards scholarships of 15,000 SEK/month. Equivalent level of “doktorandstegen” at KTH after tax deduction from 2019-11-01 is:
Level 1: 23,000 SEK/month
Level 2: 23,500 SEK/month
Level 3: 25,000 SEK/month
Level 4: 26,000 SEK/month
- Additional scholarships should be worked out in consultation with the school’s human resources manager and/or head of administration. The final decision is made by the head of the school. More information about additional scholarships
- Qualified candidate will receive Invitation Letter signed by Vice President of KTH. Any Invitation Letter issued by individule professor at KTH will NOT be accepted, even though you have been approved CSC scholarship. More information concerning how to apply at CSC, please visit CSC official website: www.csc.edu.cn
General academic entry requirements
- Equivalent to a Swedish master's degree when you start your PhD studies at KTH (master's degree or at least two years of study in combined “Master+PhD” programmes at recognised Chinese universities)
- English proficiency for PhD (including Guest Doctoral Study) applicants: IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall (no subscore below 5.5) or TOEFL (iBT) 90 (written, minimum 20). This requirement is waived if English is the only language of instruction for your current or previous level of studies.
Available positions Entry 2021
Available positions for KTH-CSC programme Entry 2021 will be published here on Oct. 25, 2020. The following position categories will be available in 2021:
- Full PhD student: 48 months
Qualified applicants will be admitted and registered as PhD students at KTH for 48 months. Additional scholarship is required.
- Visiting PhD student : 6 – 12 months
Qualified applicants will be accepted but will NOT be registered as PhD students at KTH, and will NOT receive additional scholarship.
- Visiting scholar: 3 – 12 months
Qualified applicants must be employed by university or organisation in China.
How to apply
Application time (Entry 2021): Oct. 25, 2020 - Jan. 10, 2021
- Find the position that you want to apply in Available Positions for Entry 2021.
- Fill in online application form. (Will be ready when application starts)
- Submit the following required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline Jan. 10, 2021 (The application documents must be scanned and compressed into ONE PDF document, the subject of the email should be: Reg. no. + your full name).
Required application documents 2021
- A signed Check list (pdf 243 kB)
- Certified copies of your transcripts of records (from undergraduate level till now). If these are in a language other than English, certified copies of the original documents and a translation will be required. This is required for Degree-seeking PhD and Guest Doctoral Study applicants only.
- Certified copies of your university degree certificate (from both undergraduate and graduate levels).If you have not completed your studies, please include a written statement from your department, school or university, giving your expected completion date. If these are in a language other than English, certified copies of the original documents and a translation will be required. This is required for Degree-seeking PhD and Guest Doctoral Study applicants only.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- Full PhD student:A copy of the test results provided by TES or British Council is mandatory. Please do NOT request ETS/British Council to send to KTH directly. The proof of English proficiency may be waived if English is the only language of instruction of your current or previous studies.
- Visiting PhD student and Visiting Scholar: A copy of the test results provided by TES or British Council is preferred. Please do NOT request ETS/British Council to send to KTH directly. The proof of English proficiency may be waived if English is the only language of instruction of your current or previous studies. If you cannot provide the above-mentioned test result/document, a letter of your English Proficiency issued by KTH responsible supervior of the position that you are applying for is mandatory.
- CV including education and professional experiences.
- A list of Publications (only the titles are needed).
General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR
The new regulation concerning personal data is in place since May, 2018. Please read the text in GDPR for KTH-CSC programme (pdf 294 kB) before you apply.
If you have any question about CSC-KTH programme, please do not hesitate to contact us:
International Relations Office
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
+46 8 790 6838