KTH-CSC Programme is based on the agreement between KTH and the China Scholarship Council (CSC), a number of scholarships can be offered to Chinese citizens applying to KTH. According to the agreement, each year the available scholarships are up to degree-seeking Full PhD students (50), Visiting PhD students (20) and Visiting scholars (5).
Full PhD student: 48 months
Qualified applicants will be admitted and registered as PhD students at KTH for 48 months. Additional scholarship is required (arranged by responsible supervisor).
Visiting PhD student : 6 – 12 months
Qualified applicants will be accepted but will not be registered as PhD students at KTH, and will not receive additional scholarship.
Visiting scholar: 3 – 12 months
Qualified applicants must be employed by university or organisation in China.
How to apply
- Find the position that you want to apply in Available Positions for Entry 2021.
- Fill in the online application form.
- Submit the following required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline January 10, 2021 (the application documents must be scanned and compressed into one PDF document, the subject of the email should be: Registration number + your full name).
Required application documents 2021
A signed checklist
Certified copies of your transcripts of records (from undergraduate level till now)
If these are in a language other than English, certified copies of the original documents and a translation will be required. This is required for Degree-seeking PhD and Guest Doctoral Study applicants only.
Certified copies of your university degree certificate (from both undergraduate and graduate levels)
If you have not completed your studies, please include a written statement from your department, school or university, giving your expected completion date. If these are in a language other than English, certified copies of the original documents and a translation will be required. This is required for Degree-seeking PhD and Guest Doctoral Study applicants only.
Proof of English proficiency
Full PhD student: A copy of the test results provided by TES or British Council is mandatory. Please do not request ETS/British Council to send to KTH directly. The proof of English proficiency may be waived if English is the only language of instruction of your current or previous studies.
Visiting PhD student and Visiting Scholar: A copy of the test results provided by TES or British Council is preferred. Please do not request ETS/British Council to send to KTH directly. The proof of English proficiency may be waived if English is the only language of instruction of your current or previous studies. If you cannot provide the above-mentioned test result/document, a letter of your English Proficiency issued by KTH responsible supersvior of the position that you are applying for is mandatory.
Including education and professional experiences.
A list of Publications
Only the titles are needed.
Rules and policy
Due to the changes of the Higher Education Ordinance (chapter 7, paragraph 36) for doctoral students with scholarships, the following rules now apply for entry 2021.
- Full PhD students admitted from July 1 2018 should be financed by scholarship for four years. And the scholarship should meet the income requirements of KTH for doctoral students, therefore the scholarship structure of CSC-KTH programme is: CSC scholarship + additional scholarship.
- KTH schools should set up an additional scholarship, and the additional scholarship should be only provided by external financiers who have given due written approval. Apart from top-up doctoral scholarships, no KTH scholarships are allowed for doctoral education.
- The additional scholarship should be arranged by responsible supervisors. it should be equal to the difference between the CSC-scholarship and ”doktorandstegen” (salary grades for doctoral student employment) after taxes. CSC awards scholarships of 15,000 SEK/month. Equivalent level of “doktorandstegen” at KTH after tax deduction from 2020-10-01 is:
- Level 1: 23,000 SEK/month
- Level 2: 23,750 SEK/month
- Level 3: 25,000 SEK/month
- Level 4: 26,000 SEK/month
- Additional scholarships should be worked out in consultation with the school’s human resources manager and/or head of administration. The final decision is made by the head of the school. More information about additional scholarships
- Qualified candidate will receive Invitation Letter signed by Vice President of KTH. Any Invitation Letter issued by individule professor at KTH will NOT be accepted, even though you have been approved CSC scholarship. More information concerning how to apply at CSC, please visit CSC official website: www.csc.edu.cn
General academic entry requirements
- Equivalent to a Swedish master's degree when you start your PhD studies at KTH (master's degree or at least two years of study in combined “Master+PhD” programmes at recognised Chinese universities)
- English proficiency for PhD applicants: IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall (no subscore below 5.5) or TOEFL (iBT) 90 (written, minimum 20). This requirement is waived if English is the only language of instruction for your current or previous level of studies.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The new regulation concerning personal data is in place since May, 2018. Please read the regulation before you apply.
If you have any question about KTH-CSC programme, please do not hesitate to contact us.