Received PhD from KTH (after MEng from U Tokyo) and hold a position of Professor of computer science at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. In past he was an associate professor of the Graduate School of Informatics at Kyoto University, and has worked in industy for 10+ years (Toshiba Research Cambridge lab and Toshiba Corporate R&D) where he developed computer vision systems, e.g. for automatic Radar image analysis.
The courses he teaches include Machine Learning (DD2421), and he serves as the vice-director of the Master’s Programme in Machine Learning (TMAIM). He is also the KTH coordinator for the strategic partnership between KTH and The University of Tokyo.
His main reseach interests cover a broad range of topics in machine learning, deep learning, and computer vision, including motion and object recognition, clustering, subspace analysis, stereopsis, and representation learning. He holds 30+ patents in the area of image analysis. He is a board member of Swedish Society for Automated Image Analysis (SSBA).
Some more information can be found here: http://www.csc.kth.se/~atsuto/
Current projects include:
- VR (Individual grant)
- WASP AI
- WASP AS
- SMaRC project
- COGMAR (The Research Council of Norway)
- I assumed the Vice-Director of the Master’s Programme in Machine Learning (TMAIM) as of January. Welcome to apply for studies starting in Autumn 2020 (deadline January 15, 2020).
- I served as an opponent of Van Nhan Nguyen's PhD thesis defence, December 3, 2019. UiT Machine Learning Group, The Arctic University of Norway.
- Apply to NII International Internship Program in Tokyo. I'm coordinating this program for PhD-candidates and Master students at KTH (deadline October 15, 2019).
- I gave a keynote at the 1st JSPS Alumni Club in Sweden Seminar, Cogito Ergo Sum? AI in Japan and Sweden, September 24, 2019. Location: Linköping University.
- I gave a keynote at the 22nd Symposium on Image Recognition and Understanding (MIRU 2019), July 30, 2019. Location: Osaka International Convention Center.
- Apply to NII International Internship Program in Tokyo. I'm coordinating this program for PhD-candidates and Master students at KTH (deadline May 10, 2019).
- I'm serving as a Program Co-Chair for International Conference on Machine Vision Applications with Prof Paolo Favaro, held in May 2019 with fantastic invited lectures! Location: Tokyo. Paper submission deadline on December 14.
- I served as the opponent of Vahan Petrosyan's Licentiate thesis defence, November 30, 2018. Division of Decision and Control Systems, KTH.
- I gave a keynote at the 2nd Swedish Symposium on Deep Learning (SSDL 2018), September 5-6, 2018. Location: University of Gothenburg.
- RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligece Project (AIP), Tokyo, and KTH School of EECS have signed an MoU on July 9, 2018. I'm serving as the contact at KTH.
- I gave an invited talk at The Brummer & Partners MathDataLab: Workshop on Mathematics for Complex Data, May 30, 2018. Location: KTH.
- The Niwa-Takayanagi Best Paper Prize was awarded to our paper by the Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers (ITE) in Japan, May 30, 2018.
- We organised the 36th Swedish Symposium on Image Analysis (SSBA 2018), March 7-9, 2018. Location: KTH. Thank you all for sponsoring and participations!
- I gave an invited popular science talk on Machine Learning at KVA, February 14, 2018. Location: The Royal Swedish Academy of Science.
- I gave a keynote at Northern Light Deep Learning Worpshop (NLDL 2018), January 10-11, 2018. Location: The Arctic University of Norway.
- We organised the first Swedish Symposium on Deep Learning (SSDL 2017), June 20-21, 2017, a wonderful event with 220+ participants. Location: KTH.
- I co-organised KTH-University of Tokyo joint Workshop on Education and Academic Mobility, March 8-10, 2017. Location: The University of Tokyo.
- My grant application to Vetenskapsrådet has been accepted. That's called "Motion Representation Learning for Intelligence Surveillance - MoRLIS". Thank you very much for everyone who has supported me!