Kerstin Forsberg är universitetslektor och docent i kemiteknik med expertis inom separationsprocesser, i synnerhet kristallisation. Kunskapen tillämpas ofta i projekt som syftar till att utvinna resurser från avfallsströmmar (t ex förbrukade batterier, betbadssyror och rödslam) eller för att undersöka fenomen kopplat till transport av föroreningar (t ex mobilitet av radionuklider).
Commisions of trust
- Vice chair, Hydrometallurgy and Electrometallurgy Committee, TMS, 2021.03 – 2023.03
- Member of the JOM journal advisory committee and editor of special issues (Springer), 2021.03 – 2024.03
- Deputy director, KTH Industrial Transformation Platform, 2019.05 – 2025.05
- Director for the strategic partnership between KTH and IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute, 2022.07 –
- Member, steering group, Hammarby Sjöstadsverk, an R&D facility in water purification technology, 2022.07 –
- Member of the KTH CBH school docent committee, 2022.05 – 2023.12
- Programme director, Master's Program in Chemical Engineering for Energy and Environment, KTH, 2019.06 – 2022.12
- Member, reference group, KTH Energy Platform, 2019.09 –
- Member, management team, Initiative for Circular Economy, KTH, 2018.04 –
Happy to giving a talk on "Chemical Engineering in a Circular Economy" at the 68th Berzelius days at Stockholm Unversity, January 20- 21st, 2023. (LINK)
Happy to give a talk on "Hydrometallurgical processing of rare earth elements" at the international workshop "Metals for Electric Mobility" organized by LabEx Ressources21 in Nancy, March 8th and 9th, 2023. (LINK)
Happy to attend and co-organize the Rare Metal Extraction & Processing symposium at TMS in San Diego, March 19- 23, 2023. (LINK)
We are looking forward to organize the 28th International Workshop on Industrial Crystallization (BIWIC) in Stockholm, August 30- Sept. 1, 2023. Save the date!
Keep an eye on our special issue in JOM on "Process Intensification in Hydro- and Electrometallurgy" to be published in May 2023. (LINK)
Opportunity for conducting your MSc degree project on recycling of composite cards at KTH (vt 2023 or later) in collaboration with Prof. Michael Shaver at the University of Manchester and industrial partners. Please contact me for further information. (LINK)
Opportunity for MSc degree projects at Boliden (ht 2022 or vt 2023). Please contact me for further information. (LINK)
Check our collaboration on battery recycling!
Check our new anthology on energy "Towards the energy of the future" released July 14th, 2022. A popular science book co-created by researchers from the KTH Energy Platform to share views on challenges and possibilities for the future energy system. (LINK)
Check our research on battery recycling in the The Climate Action Advent Calendar at KTH, door 11! (LINK)
As project leader at KTH
1) Green Recycling of Battery Materials, 2023.01- 2023.12 (STEM).
2) VALORE - selective Vanadium recovery from ALumina Refinery, 2022.01- 2024.12 (EIT Raw Materials).
3) SCALE-Up - Scaling up Scandium production from European Bauxite Residues, 2022.01- 2024.12 (EIT Raw Materials).
4) Eutectic Freeze Crystallization for Recovery of Pure Salts and Water, 2021.01- 2023.12 (Formas).
5) ANTISOLVO - Antisolvent precipitation to extract the value from end-of-life Nd-Fe-B magnets, 2021.01- 2023.12 (ERA-MIN2/Vinnova).
6) RM@Schools 4.0 - Raw Matters ambassadors at Schools 4.0, 2021.01- 2023.12 (EIT Raw Materials)
7) Green Recycling of Battery Materials by Deep Eutectic Solvents, 2020.08- 2023.12 (STEM).
8) New Crystallization Methods for Resource Recovery, 2019.05- 2025.12 (STINT/NRF)
9) Kristallisationsbaserad återvinning av sällsynta jordartsmetaller från permanentmagneter med djupeutektiska lösningsmedel, 2023- 2025 (Formas, PI: M. Svärd)
10) DysCovery - Sustainable REE, Co-Ni supply from magnet recycling: closing the loop, 2022.01- 2024.12 (EIT Raw Materials, PI: M. Svärd).
11) REEform - New separation methods for recycling of critical rare earth elements, 2020- 2022 (Formas, PI: M. Svärd)
Previous projects as project leader at KTH
1) PERLI - Processes for Efficient Recycling of Lithium Ion Batteries, 2019.08- 2022.12 (STEM).
2) SCALE - Production of scandium compounds and scandium aluminium alloys from European metallurgical by-products, 2017- 2021 (H2020, GA No. 730105).
3) RAISE - Raw Materials Students Internships, 2019- 2021 (EIT Raw Materials)
4) RM@Schools 3.0 - Raw Matters ambassadors at Schools 3.0, 2018- 2020 (EIT Raw Materials)
5) INSPIRE- Intensified flow separator infrastructure and expertise network, 2016- 2019 (EIT Raw Materials)
6) Systems analysis and hydrometallurgical process development for recycling of spent NiMH battery systems from the transport sector, 2013- 2018 (STEM).
7) Crystallization of Ca(II), Sr(II) and Eu(III) isosaccharinates, 2016- 2017 (SSM).
8) Impact of cement additives on the mobility of radionuclides, 2016- 2017 (SKB).
Previous projects as collaborator
9) Novel hydrometallurgical methods for rare earth metals, 2012- 2018 (SSF, PI: Å. Rasmuson)
Selected academic assignments
Examination committee member/ opponent for PhD defenses at:
Monash University (Australia), University of Toronto (Canada), Cairo University (Egypt), Aalto University (Finland), Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT (Finland), University of Lorraine (France), RWTH Aachen (Germany), Indian Institute of Technology IIT (Indian School of Mines) in Dhanbad (India), Indian Institute of Technology IIT in Roorkee (India), Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU (Norway), University of Oslo (Norway), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), University of Cape Town (South Africa), Chalmers University (Sweden), KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden), Luleå University of Technology (Sweden), Lund University (Sweden), Uppsala University (Sweden).
- Member of the organising committee for: the symposium Rare Metal Extraction & Processing in USA at TMS 2020 (San Diego), TMS 2021 (on-line), TMS 2022 (Anaheim), TMS 2023 (San Diego), the Recovering the Unrecoverable Symposium as part of REWAS 2022 (Anaheim) and the 28th International Workshop on Industrial Crystallization, BIWIC 2023 (Stockholm).
- Member of the scientific committee for: the 27th International Workshop on Industrial Crystallization, BIWIC 2022 (Espoo), the International Conference on Raw Materials and Circular Economy, RawMat 2021 (Athens), and the 3rd European Rare Earth Resource conference ERES 2020 (online).
- Co-organizer of transdisciplinary symposia at KTH: The food industry transformation, 2022; Security for industry - how to avoid a cyber attack, 2021; The industrial transformation of the construction industry, 2021; The industrial transformation of the pharmaceutical industry, 2020; The industrial transformation of the transport sector, 2019.