I am an Associate Professor and Docent in Hydraulic Engineering at the Sustainable Development, Environmental Sciences and Engineering department (SEED).
My researchfocuses on understanding the mutual interaction between fluvial processes and human activities. In particular, my main research interests are:
- dynamics of water and society
- flood risk management
- scour at hydraulic structures
I am currently supervising the research work carried out bythree PhD students:
1) Sara Lindersson at Uppsala University. Sara is interested in exploring how Earth observation can advance our understanding of worldwide water disaster risk. Sara makes use of planetary-scalegeospatial datasets and worldwide archives to analyze dynamics between hydrological extremes and societies, through quantitative GIS analysis.
2) Shuang Hao at KTH, onEffects of Climate Fluctuations on Water Reservoir Operation Planning.The goal of her study is to account for effects of climate change on hydropower operations by developing statistical methods for assessing relevant climate indicators, develop methods for including these indicators in long-term operational planning models and assess the relative importance of climate fluctuations for hydropower production. In particular, Shuang will apply the climate-driven optimal management on the hydropower system in Dalälven River Basin in Sweden.
3) Riccardo Biella at Uppsala University. Riccardo's focus is on conceptualizing thenexus between climate service and adaptation in socio-ecological systems. The aim of his research is to analyzing and developing models of human-climate interactions to extreme events across spatial and temporal scales with a focus on adaptation and climate services.
I was honored to receive the2022 KTH Pedagogical Prize for my cross-disciplinary and creative teacching approach. Here an article about the prize and its motivation:
Taking learning out of the classroom | KTH
I was inivted to discuss my view on education atKTH Fikasnack Podcast:
KTH Play: https://play.kth.se/media/t/0_npbmyhyq
Degree Project in Hydraulic Engineering, Second Cycle (AF283X), examiner, course responsible, teacher | Course web
Fluid Mechanics for Architecture and Built Environment (AE1601), examiner, course responsible | Course web
Fluid Mechanics for Energy and Built Environment (AE1603), examiner, course responsible | Course web
Hydraulic Engineering (AE2612), examiner, course responsible, teacher | Course web
Modelling of Water Systems (AE2107), examiner, course responsible, teacher | Course web
Water Supply and Wastewater Treatment (AL1304), examiner | Course web
Water Treatment Processes and Technology (AE2302), examiner | Course web
Water and Wastewater Handling (AE2304), examiner | Course web