Researcher in Lignin Chemistry at KTH/Stora Enso
Postdoctoral Researcher in Lignin Chemistry at KTH/Stora Enso
PhD student at Wallenberg Wood Science Center - KTH
Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology
Division of Wood Chemistry and Pulp Technology
Towards new materials from technical lignin
Focus of the project is deep understanding on molecular scale of technical lignin in order to reduce its heterogeneity and exploit the attractive properties from a polymer- and material science viewpoint.
In our work we applied a well-grounded analytical toolbox consisting of advanced NMR characterization in order to proﬁle the detailed molecular structures of kraft lignins and unravel mechanistic insights on important lignin reactions occurring during kraft pulping.
On the reactivity of LCCs
The goal of my PhD project is to understand the reactivity of Lignin Carbohydrates Complexes (LCCs) in different technical conditions such as Kraft and sulfite pulps as well as hot water- and steam explosion processes, using a universal, quantitative and mild fractionation protocol. Lignin Carbohydrates Complexes are thought to be linked to the recalcitrance of wood biopolymers. This matrix of covalent bonds must be understood since cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin are potential, alternative and renewable raw materials for generation of fuels, chemicals and polymers in a biorefinery.
- Ekmandagarna: "Towards Liquid fuels from lignin"; 27-28 January 2015, Stockholm.
- 251th ACS National Meeting: "Global protocol for the mild quantitative fractionation of lignin carbohydrate complexes (LCC)" ; 13-17 March 2016, San Diego.
- Marcus Wallenberg Prize: "Mild, quantitative and universal fractionation protocol of LCCs. From raw materials to reactivity in technical conditions"; 10-13 October 2016, Stockholm.
- 7th NWBC: "Structural changes during hydrothermal pre-treatment of Spruce and Birch"; 28-30 March 2017, Stockholm.
- 19th ISWFPC: "On the reactivity of LCCs at Pulping and Biorefining conditions"; 30 August - 1 September 2017, Porto Seguro, Brazil.
- Bachelor in Master science (University of Bari)
- Master in Plastic Engineering (University of Turin)
- Conservatory diploma in saxophone
- Master in Macromolecular materials (KTH)
- Teacher of saxophone in public school
- Internship in injection moulding technologies department of Eltek S.p.A
- Shift supervisor and production manager at Eltek S.p.A