Skip to main content

Application for exchange studies

Application for exchange studies is made once a year, from the end of November to the middle of December. On this page you can find all information regarding how to apply for exchange studies.

This applies to the application

You can apply for exchange studies during the second year of studies, but not perform exchange studies until during the third year of studies, at the earliest.

If you already have been nominated and carried out exchange studies, or been nominated and declined your exchange allocation, you can apply again. However, students who have not previously applied for and been allocated a place have priority when places are allocated. You can apply to a maximum of five universities and put them in order of priority.

As long as the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has stated an advice against travel to other countries, exchange studies from KTH are not to be performed. Please carefully check entry requirements and restrictions in the country/region where you intend to perform exchange studies.

Before applying, it is important to check that you are eligible for exchange studies.

Requirements and selection

For students with Swedish residence permit

A condition for a residence permit in Sweden is that the studies require the student's presence here. If you are planning to go to another country for an exchange term, you should contact the authorities of that country to find out what is required for a stay in that country. You should also contact the unit at the Swedish Migration Agency that granted the residence permit.

If you go on an exchange during your ongoing permit period, you are no longer entitled to a residence permit, which may result in it being revoked. A revocation of a residence permit does not mean that it will be more difficult for you when you apply for a new permit to continue your studies in Sweden. However, it is important that you apply for a new permit in time before returning to Sweden. You must have the new permit before you enter Sweden.

Learn more on the Swedish Migration Agency's website (  Click "What applies to exchanges?".

How to make an application

You apply in the system MobilityOnline. The application is made in two steps. In the first part, you fill in your personal details, study information and choice of exchange universities. You will then receive an email from MobilityOnline asking you to register via the link in the email and upload the following documents:

  • A photo according to Photo requirements when applying for exchange studies .
  • A preliminary course choice form (dotx 65 kB)  with a motivation to their relevance to your ongoing studies at KTH. You will find more information in the course choice form. Frequently asked questions about course choices etc is found under FAQ to the left.
  • Suppose you have been involved in THS reception activities for international students at any time during the last two years. In that case, you should also upload a certificate from THS to the application system. The certificate is, therefore, valid for two consecutive application rounds after completing the activities.

If your exchange studies are planned to start in your first year at the master's level, you must indicate which master's program you intend to apply for in your application for exchange studies. 

Once you have started your application in MobilityOnline, you can work in it until the last application date.

E-mail address

In order to receive instructions from the application system, you should enter your KTH e-mail address. Emails being redirected from that email address may not reach email addresses on these domains:,,,, or

E-mail at KTH

Technical help with MobilityOnline

If you would encounter technical problem, please contact . After having completed your application, you should close the webb browser if you have been using a public computer.

Get to your application in MobilityOnline

If you need to get to an already ongoing application in MoL, please use this link  and log in.

General Data protection Regulation (GDPR)

GDPR regarding studies abroad

Late application

After the selection for exchange studies has been completed in February, eligible students can apply for unused places. The late application opens in March, every year.

Late application