Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Accompanying family members

If you choose to bring your spouse and/or children to Sweden, there are a few things you should know.

Parent pushing stroller with child

Learning Swedish

Getting a job and becoming established in Sweden really depends on your knowledge of Swedish. You can get started today, by taking a free online course to start with. As a newcomer, with a personnummer, you also have access to SFI, free Swedish classes offered through the city of Stockholm.

SFI, Swedish for Immigrant classes through Stockholm city

Stockholm Dual Career Network

Be sure to join Stockholm Dual Career Network's facebook page or suscribe to their newsletter. They provide career support for spouses of researchers in Stockholm, and also social activities.

Stockholm Dual Career Network

Childcare and School

Childcare services are available for all children from one year of age, provided they have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). The parents pay a fee linked to the family’s income and the child’s attendance. Contact your local municipality (kommun) for information on how to apply. There are exceptions to the rule if the family is here as a guest researcher, although different fees for daycare may apply.

From the year the child turns six, school is compulsory, up until age 16. All education provided by the state is free.

Stockholm City's daycare information

Stockholm Start-school registration for those new to Sweden

Overview of the Swedish education system

International Schools

Below we have listed schools that instruct in English and that are free of charge in Stockholm.

ISSR-International School of the Stockholm Region

Future plans and permanent residence

The Immigration Board recently changed the rules for permanent residence, and the new rules affects families and spouses. Each family member must apply on an individual basis, not because another family member has gotten permanent residence. Be sure to read about what applies to you and your family situation, even if you are early on in your stay in Sweden.

Swedish Alients Act 2021