Skip to main content

Permits for non-EU citizens

Please start the application procedure for your permit 4-5 months before your arrival in Sweden, if you are from outside of the EU. Even if you have a permit to stay in another Schengen country, you will need to apply for and complete a Swedish permit in order to come and work here.

Books on a shelf

Permits for working in Sweden 

Doctoral students

If you are a Doctoral student (PhD), and you will be admitted to KTH, you should apply for a residence permit for studies as a Doctoral student.

Permit application information at Migrationsverket

Joining as a Research engineer, intending on pursuing a PhD

Changing status in your application, while you are living in Sweden, may mean you need to leave Sweden in order for the Immigration Board to make a decision. We encourage you to make sure you are enrolled as a Doctoral student in the Ladok system and hold a residence permit for PhD studies before entering Sweden.

Post-docs, guest researchers and other research-based employees

Are you conducting research at KTH, and are not a Doctoral student? It is actually better for many reasons, so get a residence permit for researchers.

Residence permit information for researchers at Migrationsverket .

Do you have a residence permit for another EU country?

If you are not an EU citizen, but have a residence permit for another EU country or Schengen, you will need to apply for a Swedish residence permit, and wait for the application to be aproved before moving to Sweden and starting at KTH. 

Is your partner or spouse a EU/EEA citizen?

There are special rules applying to you, your partner and how you apply, if you as the non-EU/EEA citizen are the one coming to KTH to work. Be sure you read through the process carefully.

​​​​​​​Resi­dence cards for an EU/​​​EEA citi­zen's family who are non-EU/​​EEA citi­zens ​​​​​​​

Visitors to KTH

If you are a Doctoral student/reseacher at another university, you have funding from outside of Sweden, and you will not be admitted to KTH while you are here, you will need a vistor's permit.

If you plan to stay for longer than three months, you will need to apply for a visitor’s permit. If you come from one of these countries listed below, you will need to apply for a visitor’s permit, and receive your permit card before entering Sweden, regardless of how long you plan to stay.

Apply for a visitor's permit at Migrationverket

List of countries where a permit is necessary in order to enter Sweden

Getting your residence permit card

If you are planning on getting your residence permit card once you arrive, it is good idea to book an appointment so Migrationsverket can register your biometrics before you even get here. If your country is not included on this list, you can get the card once you are in Sweden, but it is a good idea to before you arrive.

If you need to get the card before you arrive, you will have to visit the Swedish embassy or consulate where you live. You should count on it taking about 3-4 weeks to get your card.

Make an appointment at Migrationsverket

Sweden Abroad website, list of embassies and consulates


Make sure you are aware of how long your permit lasts, and when you will need to apply for an extension. You may apply six months before the current one expires. Once you are granted a new permit, you will need to renew your residence card.


Even if you your family plans to arrive later than you, it is recommended that the entire family apply for a residence permit at the same time.

Once you arrive?

If you are staying a year or more, you will need to visit Statens Servicecenter for civic registration.

Civic registration, KTH Relocation

Statens Servicecenter​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​


Please contact us directly if you have any questions in regards to your permit or immigration.

Contact KTH Relocation

Belongs to: About KTH
Last changed: Jul 01, 2022